Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt gasket is coming off

doj1975
doj1975 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my large Egg last Friday.cooked 5 times on it now. Last night when I went to light it, my gasket was falling off. It has also shrunk alot. What's going on?

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    You must have got a lemon. The stock felt gaskets are of excellent quality. I'm sure everyone here will agree with me.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    It's normal. 99% of all gaskets do the same thing. Let it come off and see if it changes your cooks. I have not had a gasket in many months and I dont miss it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Yep my gasket fried after about 6 weeks......
    Large BGE

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    mine fried after my first weekend, which was just last week. Called the home base and they're sending me out the high temp one. I know people say it's alright to not have one, but the top and the bottom aren't made as a matched pair and don't have machined rims, they'll never seal airtight, which is why the egg runs so good.
  • doj1975
    mine fried after my first weekend, which was just last week. Called the home base and they're sending me out the high temp one. I know people say it's alright to not have one, but the top and the bottom aren't made as a matched pair and don't have machined rims, they'll never seal airtight, which is why the egg runs so good.
    Can you give me the number to call about the gasket?
  • BubbaSambo
    BubbaSambo Posts: 36
    edited March 2012
    Go buy a Rutland gasket from Ace Hardware (84"), then go to Autozone and get the Permatex Ultra Copper (http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_permatex_ultra_copper_maximum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm ) cement. ) Use this how-to to install it 
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm  , except use the Permatex rather than the Rutland glue.  The Rutland glue is meant to adhere to steel.  It is also water based and will break down from exposure to rain.
    RMFT LBGE
  • xraypat23

I'm going to try out the high heat gasket first, once I burn that one up, I will do the rutland
  • doj1975
    Thanks for the number. That sound like a good plan to me too.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Like BubbaSambo said, get it over with and just put the Rutland on.  It's a permanent solution and will be your last gasket.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• doj1975
    Where can I order a Rutland from online?
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    My gasket maybe lasted a month.  It started departing as soon as I started making pizza and paella.  I put the high temp Nomax version on, and it was pretty easy.  It's holding up well, but I can see that it will not last forever.  Should last a couple years though.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Go with the nomex first. Heck. It's free from BGE. I replaced mine last week. It'll cost you 10 bucks for acetone & 3m 77 adhesive. Cheaper than rutand.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2012
    For those with an XL, the Rutland kits are not long enough (84").  The XL needs at least 94".  
    Also, regardless of size, don't used the supplied kit glue, get a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper - it's proven to work.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Jgvcm
    Jgvcm Posts: 2
    I've had my egg for a few months and the original gasket has really breaking down.  I'm changing the gasket today with the high heat BGE gasket.  The directions say to use acetone to clean the rims.  I used rubbing alcohol and got off the remaining felt etc.  I think the rims are clean but they are not off white.  There is still a lot of black charring on most of the rim.  Should I get acetone to clean further?  Or can I just apply the new gasket the way it is.  Any response is appreciated.

• @ Choke, Did you do just 1 side?

LET'S EAT
  • ChokeOnSmoke

@ Choke, Did you do just 1 side?

Yes, I put it just on the bottom.  I think if I did it again though, I'd put it just on the top to keep all the spillage and ash off of it.  Probably not a big deal though.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    You must have got a lemon. The stock felt gaskets are of excellent quality. I'm sure everyone here will agree with me.
    Snort.

I have to get my sorry butt motivated to change my XL's.  The L is fried too, but seems to still be sealing OK.  The XL leaks smoke like a cheap metal grill.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xraypat23
    fried my gasket within the first week. an hour cooking 6 pizzas at 600+ will do that. I've been running non gasket since. loosened the bands and readjusted the lid for no gasket. The home base has sent me the high temp version, i just haven't had any downtime to do the install. The egg isn't a machined surface where the top and bottom meet. Although they run fine without one, something tells me they'll run even better with a proper gasket.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804

@ Choke, Did you do just 1 side?

Yes, I put it just on the bottom.  I think if I did it again though, I'd put it just on the top to keep all the spillage and ash off of it.  Probably not a big deal though.
    Thanks for the answer to this question. I'm about to replace mine with a Rutland and I know it only needs to go on one side but I wasn't sure if it made a difference.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

On the Canadian side, they won't replace gasket for free ... in fact they want $27 for Nomex!

So I bought Rutland from Ron here on the forum for $10 delivered and bought the Permatex at Cdn. Tire for about $8

Cool thing is, I thought I would need to replace my gasket by now and I'm almost 7 months on the original ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Did a burn out cleaning the other day and my XL started puffing smoke out of the front,Guess it's time to pull the trigger and run a Rutland
    LET'S EAT
  • Guys- I've had my egg for 6-7 years and used 3 -4 gaskets. I use it 3-4 times a week and cook everything on it. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints out there with new egg owners ( I burned mine off the first weekend I had it). When you get a new egg or put on a new gasket, you have to let it cure for a few cooks. You can't do high temp steaks or pizza right away. Trust me on this, you don't need special gaskets, extra glue, or any other special gadgets. Take it easy for a week or so after buying a new egg or putting on a new gasket and you'll be fine. When replacing the gasket, make sure you scrape the old gasket off down to the porcelain. . I even sand it a little and use mineral spirits to get it super clean. Then I put a new gasket on and let it sit for at least 24 hours. I don't do any high heat cooks for 2-3 days. Do this and you'll be fine.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Guys- I've had my egg for 6-7 years and used 3 -4 gaskets. I use it 3-4 times a week and cook everything on it. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints out there with new egg owners ( I burned mine off the first weekend I had it). When you get a new egg or put on a new gasket, you have to let it cure for a few cooks. You can't do high temp steaks or pizza right away. Trust me on this, you don't need special gaskets, extra glue, or any other special gadgets. Take it easy for a week or so after buying a new egg or putting on a new gasket and you'll be fine. When replacing the gasket, make sure you scrape the old gasket off down to the porcelain. . I even sand it a little and use mineral spirits to get it super clean. Then I put a new gasket on and let it sit for at least 24 hours. I don't do any high heat cooks for 2-3 days. Do this and you'll be fine.
    x2!  Couldn't agree more.  Two eggs and three years of cooking 2-3 times per week and I have only had to replace one gasket - and I don't shy away from high temp cooks when I need to. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I now need to replace my gasket, and will likely be doing so asap. If Green Egg knows the stock gasket is a huge fault, why don't they just go with Nomex as the stock gaskets? Seems logical to me.
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    I've had mine for 5 years...and never had a problem with it... You guys just don't know how to cook haha.
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    You guy's should consider this which is off of naked whiz ...Many people have used this product and this procedure to replace the gasket on their Big Green Egg. However, we wanted you to be aware that BGE contacted Rutland and asked about the safety of using a fiberglass product around food. Rutland said that their fiberglass gasket should not be used around food. Note, however, that the gasket is only used on the bottom shell, and therefore is never being placed above the food. Also note that Kamado uses a woven ceramic fiber for their gaskets with no problems, even though ceramic fibers can be just a big a concern as fiberglass. Use your own judgement as to how you feel about this warning from Rutland.
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • I now need to replace my gasket, and will likely be doing so asap. If Green Egg knows the stock gasket is a huge fault, why don't they just go with Nomex as the stock gaskets? Seems logical to me.
    It's not a huge fault. people get a new egg and want to see it bury the temp needle at 750 the first night they get it (Me included). I think the retailers need to do a better job telling people to take it easy for a few days after getting a new egg or replacing a gasket. In the 6 years since, I've replaced 2 gaskets and none of those fell off, they just wore out and lost the ability to seal in certain spots. If you prep it right, let it cure for a few days then the standard gasket will last 2+ years.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX