Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking times

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have the large egg (18"). Tried to cook brisket this weekend, 11 lbs, @ 290 degrees. Cooked for 15 hrs, tough and very dry. Are the dome temps. different than the grate temps. that much? Do the receipes indicate the difference between the large egg and medium, if there is any in the cooling instructions? Did a turkey breast too and it took 6 hrs.(3lbs). Any help would be appreciated.[p]Thankss

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Doug Blauvelt,
    Brisket is a more difficult piece of meat to do well, I think. I've posted a link below to my hints and tips on brisket, a collection of stuff I've learned here. As for turkey, I usually roast them at 325, just like in an oven and they turn out well. I've never had a breast take more than 2.5-3 hours. Have you calibrated your thermomter, also?[p]TNW

[ul][li]Brisket Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Doug Blauvelt,
    One of the big tricks with brisket is to start checking for tenderness when the internal temp is 180. Sometimes they are done then, other times they need to go higher before they "give up" and get tender. The key is to get the thing off the pit and into the foil/cooler as soon as it gets tender....cuz after that it dries out. [p]If it was tough, I gotta think you should have cooked it longer (and lower). What was your internal temp when you took it off?? Also, 290 sounds quite high. Good chance you "pushed" it through the plateau before the collagen had time to break down. Try 225-250 dome.[p]One last thing....the turkey breast sounds like it took a very long time. I am with Whiz.....check the calibration of your thermometer.[p]Good luck, and keep pluggin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Doug Blauvelt,[p]Brisket isn't as simple as it's sometimes made out to be. [p]How did you determine that 15 hours was the right time?
    Did you use a plate setter?

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Doug Blauvelt,[p]I have cooked briskets using both of Dr. BBQ's methods: the regular and the express version. The regular took 15 hours and was amazing and the express took about 6 hours for a 6 pounder and was great as well. [p]Oh, and his alabama white bbq sauce was a huge hit again. went thru about two batches sunday. [p]Thanks Ray and thank you big green egg![p]p.s. I highly recommend Ray's book. The instructions are very easy to follow and we've been thrilled with the results, as have our guests.[p]p.p.s. the Big time BBQ rub is also a winner. [p]I think we should have a cookoff where everyone makes something from ray's cookbook and he can judge.
  • drbbq
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I'm in!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I cooked his peachy pork chops for Geezerfest and they were really good.
    Larry

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I think if you were ever to really do this you should use the dog judging method he describes in his book. In short, and my apologies in advance if I slightly butcher this, but you leave all your entrees on the floor and let a dog loose. The person with the entry that the dog tries first wins some prize. The person with the entry that the dog finishes first wins a prize. If the dog sniffs your entry and doesn't eat it, you throw in an extra $20 into the pot.[p]Something like that. I think everyone is supposed to wear loin clothes, too, but I'm not sure I endorse that part of the idea, especially if I'm one of the contestants![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• drbbq
    Options
    Yes, you have it right Corndog. Glad somebody is actually reading the book.[p]The loin cloth wearing is a whole 'nother concept.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    drbbq,[p]The loin cloth involved hunting a dog, lighting a fire after digging a pit, and all the while wearing the loincloth, I believe.[p]Can we invite mollyshark?[p]Hee...
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    drbbq,[p]I'm enjoying the book immensely! I really like the intro material before the chapters as it doesn't follow the typical wood/charcoal/etc blah blah format in most other bbq books I've read. Also, you go into more detail on the competition category cooks than the other books I've read, like with your rib recipe. I need to start trying some of the recipes soon.[p]Regarding the loin cloth idea, I saw someone debating what is true bbq on another forum recently. Someone commented something like, and I'm paraphrasing, "I only consider it real bbq if you start the fire by rubbing two sticks together. Or, better still, by waiting for lightning to strike a tree and then just bbq'ing there."[p]Maybe you can add that to book number 2...[p]Later,
    Cornfed