Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Design - What is important to you?

Driving Hamster
Driving Hamster Posts: 43
edited March 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Greetings everyone.  Need to ask the opinions of the BGE table building masses.  When you are building your table what thing or things were absolute must haves for your design?

Is it a granite insert on the top for placing hot items?  Bottle opener?  Towel bar? Utensil hooks? Locking swivel casters? No casters?  Rectangle design?  etc......

If you could build it all over again what would you do differently?

I thought that this might be helpful to those in the planning stages of their tables as well as to me as I design a new table as well.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    My table design is complete and production starts tomorrow. Here are some of the key features that were a must:

Storage, storage and more storage.

Place to hang my tongs and brushes.

I guess a bottle opener for the drinkers.

Locking casters - don't want the table moving unless I want it to.

There are a few other features that I'll plead the 5th on for now...but you'll see in 3-4 weeks. The granite can be used for hot items, but just note that granite will dull your knifes if you use it as a cutting board.

I look forward to seeing your table. Are you doing it yourself??
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

I would use fire bricks under the egg instead of pavers.

I would support the bricks with 2x4 rather than the decking boards.

I would inset the granite slab rather than set it on top.

I would varnish it before putting the egg in it.

I like bottle openers (decorations), tools hooks, umbrella stand, casters.

I found a 8" wrought iron hook that I mounted on the end that allows the grate to hang without touching the table.

I placed a stainless steel plate in front of ash opening to ease cleanup.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited March 2012
    #1 - Stainless Steel  (Not pretty, but easy to clean and it won't burn or stain.  The big plus, no up-keep)

#2 - Cabinet  (Good for woks, AR's,stones,drip pans, etc.)

#3 - Drawers  (Utensils, foil roll, map torch, gloves, light, thermometers, etc.)

#4 - Grid/Platesetter Storage  (Keeps the messy stuff away from your table)

#5 - Casters (When ya gotta move it)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited March 2012
    When I built my table, I wanted a primarily maintenance free work station. I used PT lumber for the framing. Lower shelf is made of pvc decking and the top is a concrete counter top. The only maintenance I'll have to do is stain the wood every few years.

Another big one for me is storage. My plate setter and pizza stone live on the open shelf. Weather won't hurt em. I've also attached runners for plastic bins. I knew I wanted storage, but I also wanted water proof bins.

If I were going to change anything, I'd have added one more storage bin. I still have room for that to happen. I didn't add wheels, but that may still happen in the future.

I also would have had the concrete recessed at the edge for the thickness of a nylon cutting board. That way I could have taken the board out to wash it and it would have level with the work surface.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've been thinking about a table and Bowhunr hit upon many good points.  I'd suggest you think about the accessories you have and the ones you would like to get.  For me, the Woo, 2 extra grates, indirect stone, ash sweeper, and chimney all need a home, preferably a dry one.  Depedning upon where you store your charcoal, space for some wood chunks would be nice too.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hamster,
    The most important thing to me is to build the table so that the egg is at a comfortable height.  nothing worse than having to bend over too far or reach up to a level that is uncomfortable..  The second most important to me is a large work surface and lastly low maintenance.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @Bowhunr. That is a very nice looking set up, everything in it's place. You even have a "Guard Owl" watching over it. COOL! :-)) Where did the table come from if I can ask??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Thanks smokesniffer.  I bought the table from Mid-America Equipment in Hannibal, MO.  They make several different sizes and configurations.  Call  217-653-0654 and ask for Tim (he is their table guy).

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • All good ideas. I like the idea of some sort of "ash catcher".  Wouldn't be hard to integrate really.
    Large BGE. Southeast Pennsylvania. @BrianObst
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Fundamentals is where I start.  Table must easily support the XL size and be reasonably mobile.  
    Table must also be weather resistant.   I don't want a 2nd career taking care of the table!   A minor finish touch-up every 2 or 3 years would probably be OK.
    A granite slabe under the egg is a MUST as both Ash Catcher (thanks Hamster) and for appearance.   I'm designing a removeable side extension from the SAME granite which will really add to the 'look'.
    My table design is on Sketchup and available to anyone who wants it and has a FREE copy of Google Sketchup.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    @BOWHUNR post more pics of that table please, really like it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    For me the important factors were functionality, longevity, storage, easy cleanup and the ability to move it by myself.  I didn't even consider wood (not that wood tables aren't or can't be beautiful)... It was SS or just leaving it in the nest for me. 
    Edit: @Tspud1 Tim has some beautiful designs to choose from. And he'll do custom work too. Par excellent workmanship + he's a great dude!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Here is my current table and my observations.

The fire bricks under the egg are half height and still add a ton of weight, next time I would do thin sheet metal coating or similar. I like the tubs for storage. Wish I had room for my small, and non-wood surface on top to set hot items and for easy cleanup. Wheels not as useful as originally envisioned. Wood is hard to keep clean. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    My 30mm x 18" x 24" granite slab weighs AT LEAST 50lb if not slightly more.   AVERAGE granite is just a tick under 170lb per cubic foot.   

Metal will transfer heat very well.   Maybe TOO well unless the egg is 'air spaced' from it using either table egg nest or some ceramic feet.  
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    You want one that will last as long as your eggs
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs