Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Thoughts About Please ...

Options
gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
When cooking a chicken on the BGE, when the meat temp is reached is possible to keep the chicken in the BGE until everyone is ready to eat; like 30-45 minutes? Can I close all vents and let it keep warm and not have the meat temp increase? Or is this a bad idea? Your thoughts and advise ...

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    maybe with thighs if you consider them done at 160 internal, they can continue to cook to 200
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    With a drip pan, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but without, I bet you could end up with some pretty nasty flavors from the grease dripping onto the coals and then that smoke settling around the chicken with nowhere to go with your vents closed.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    If you leave the chicken in the egg even with it shut down it will continue to cook and the meat temperature will rise. Might be better to wrap it and put it in an insulated cooler to retain heat without cooking but that could have drawbacks as well such as skin that isn't crisp. The best answer is to get it to be ready when everyone is ready to eat.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Chicken should not be over an hour cook. As said if put in cooler the skin is lost and if kept in Egg it is way over done. With an hour cook you should be able to get real close. Hay, cold Egg chicken is good.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Options
    LOL, I loved the cold chicken response, not sure my family would appreciate it. Thanks to all for your advise. This forum stuff is really cool. See discussion "Question About Keeping Meat Warm". It might better explain  why I'm asking this. I didn't get a response from that discussion so I asked it differently, but please respond to it too if you'd like.  I'm always in need of lots of help :o)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    another alternative is take it out when done, bring temps up to 600 or more and when your just about ready put them back in for 5 minutes til crisp. put them in your cooler til ready, ive heard about this with comp chicken, and have seen it when serving mass amts of ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it