Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The glaze has chipped off

Options
Condor
Condor Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I live in Wisconsin, kept the egg outside all winter.  We had a mild winter only two days below zero. I keep a green egg cover on the grill, when I removed it today one third of the green glaze on the cover chipped off. On top of that the gasket fell off the topI  Need less to say I am not impressed. Other wise the grill has been great. I have owned it since July of last year.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    sounds like warranty time.  call your dealer.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Yep. Get it replaced. I live in Wisconsin, and have had zero problems. Where you at?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Condor
    Options
    I contacted them they will cover the replacement top,appartently they have had this occur before. They said there was a problem with the surface of the egg before it was glazed.As a result the chipping occured. Now I have to wait for my dearler to get the lead out (in the past he has not been too responsive), I am very disappointed with the egg as far as defects that should not be happening. So far I've had gasket problems and two bad dome temp guages and now this. However the fact of the matter the grill is great for cooking great meals. Maybe they should manufature the egg in the US.  By the way I live in Beaver Dam, Wi
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

When my Egg came out of the box, had some glaze chips.   Was pretty bad on the cap, but occurred around the top dome also. 

Talked to the Dealer, warranty replaced cap and top dome.   Yes, the Egg is expensive - but cannot say enough about how good the warranty and support is.   I was very pleased with the outcome.

Cookin in Texas
  • Condor
    Options
    Just got word from the dealer, he said the parts would be in about three weeks from now. I am not impressed. The dealer said they order every two weeks and they just ordered so I missed it. Thats why the delay.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I think that's bogus. That dealer should be able to modify the current order if needed or place a special order.  
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

It's not nessasarily bogus tnbarbq.  What the dealer should have done (which is what I do for my customers) is give Condor the replacement part out of their inventory then replace the part back to their inventory when their order arrives.  That way Condor gets his part ASAP and the dealer does not have to pay extra shipping cost for a special order.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Wait.    Does this affect the ability to use and enjoy the product for two weeks?   If you were unable to cook, I would have a different perspective.

I just went through this - and it took longer than 3 weeks for my situation to be resolved but I was ok with it.  I cooked non stop ...

I would really prefer that my dealer was not opening up new Egg boxes, scavanging parts - then hopefully remembering which box the replacements went back into.   My preference when walking into a dealer is to get a new product, in the original packaging - as packaged by the manufacturer.

Cookin in Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the base on my small is doing something similar, not just the glaze though, its about half way thru. was approved today for a warranty claim, i told him to take his time as i needed the firebox as well, they said a week or too which is fine. while the bbq season is all year with an egg, some places are seasonal and short hours selling pool supplies etc. its not the end of the world to wait for bbq parts a week or two
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Will BGE send you one direct? They sent me a new gasket without going through the dealer. I've never had any other issues.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    My dealer is Dave's Ace in Evansville, and they are pretty awesome.  Where is your dealer?  I'm not finding one in Beaver Dam.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • CanadianMegan
    Options
    You have two options.
    Either you pay for your own shipping and get your goods now.

Or you wait until your dealer has enough product requirements for an order and you get free freight.

Your glaze is just cracked. Use your egg and enjoy it for now. Get your replacement when it is ready.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I lived in Appleton for the first 4 years I had my egg. Never covered it and we had 4 brutal winters (20 below for weeks, 20 inches of snow). I cooked on it all winter. I now live in TX and it has been outside for 3 of the hottest summers on record uncovered. No problems. You got a bad one and they will take care of it. You can still cook on it with chipped glaze so no big deal as far as use goes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Just got word from the dealer, he said the parts would be in about three weeks from now. I am not impressed. The dealer said they order every two weeks and they just ordered so I missed it. Thats why the delay.
    Sounds like a poor dealer.  Unless the parts are constrained from the mothership, my dealer will order whatever I want, when I want it.  Take the others advice - use it until the parts come in and enjoy great food.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

Can you call BGE directly and get the part.  Shipping should be covered as they are at fault for sending a defective dome.