Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Heat Pizza Dough

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Spring break, big kids in the house, pizza night on the Egg!

We've been using Publix pizza dough, a 1/2 inch thick 16.5 inch dia glazed-top pizza stone, and a large BGE.

At 400F dome the pizza cooks ok, the crust browns up decent on the bottom but we would like the top to get a little crispier.

At 450F dome the pizza starts to burn on the bottom before it gets crispy on the top.

In the past, cooking pizzas at 500F or above has resulted in 'black bottom'.

Some of you here cook pizza at temps even higher than 500F.

Suspect our 'problems' are primarily due to the Publix pizza dough, or whatever's in it. We have three doughs for tonight and will try leaving the parchment paper in at 450F and see how that goes. Any other suggestions?

Also, what is a good high heat pizza dough? Looking for medium thick crispy crust with nicely browned cheese and ingredients.

Thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I make my own using the recipe in the big green egg cookbook. It is very easy to make, especially if you have a kitchen aide with a dough hook. A bread machine would also work.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RustyBrainpan
    RustyBrainpan Posts: 32
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I have had great success with high moisture pizza dough at high heats.  I cook mine at 600-650 without any issues and the crusts turn out perfect.  I use the recipes in the book "Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day".  This book has a variety of no-knead doughs and they all (at least the ones I have tried) work fabulously on the Egg.  Here is a link to the book on Amazon.  I make the crust a little thicker than the book calls for and they are perfect every time.

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I only use Publix dough.  I cook at 900+ and haven't had a problem even tho' I know many others have??

Enjoy having the big kids home!  That is always fun! :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Do you guys put the feet up or down with the place setter? I've done it feet down and had horrible results but I saw on NecessaryIndulg's blog where she did it feet up. That may be where I went wrong.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • erickpanger
    erickpanger Posts: 48
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Do you have the stone over the place setter and some sort of spacers between the stone and the place setter?

I cooked a pizza once just on a stone without the place setter and I got a black bottom.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i use store bought dough. get the stone as high as possible, use a barrier under the stone with a space between, crust should be thin as possible, sauceing should be light, little toppings. at 1200 degrees i get three pies from 1 dough ball, think thin thin thin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    This site is awesome for high heat pizza cooking. I make the dough from it, and it's really good...the guy really know his pizza-

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    This site is awesome for high heat pizza cooking. I make the dough from it, and it's really good...the guy really know his pizza-

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

:O

Holy crap! That guy gets down to business regarding his crust. I can't wait to read the entire thing. Thanks for sharing.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    No problem...it's a good read if you're interested in authentic Neapolitan pizza. I especially like how he gets his oven so hot!
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks Mighty, very interesting, and we have just the cooking utensil for this.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Nec, how can you cook Publix pizza dough at 900+ and I get 'black bottom' at 550?
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I solved my early black bottom issues with parchment paper under the dough and by switching to Pillsbury Canned Dough or Betty Crocker mix and never going over 500 degrees.  
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Did you ever read whiz's pizza page ( http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm) ? I can't wait to do a pie, and when i do, that will be the basis for the technique.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I'm not sure, @SteveWPBFL :-/

I put the plate setter legs up, then the grate, and then the pizza stone. I let the stone get hot while I prep the toppings. The pizza cooks in about 5-6 minutes at 900+ (I imagine much like a brick oven?).

I use flour when stretching out the dough. I never roll it with a rolling pin -- I found it makes a tough crust. I just swing, stretch, and toss (when I'm feeling confident).

Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Mrs Boatbum tried the spinning and tossing thing a week or so ago ... after the bottle of wine was cleaned up off the floor and we found the little pieces of dough - decided we were not quite that advanced.

I was no help --- I was encouraging her -- "bet you can't twirl that dough!" ......  Well  - you gotta have fun when you cook..

I have been doing legs down - with spacers under the pizza stone.   I think I will try the legs up, grill, the pizza stone approach you shared.

Cookin in Texas
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Steve, I'm going to try the Publix dough, hopefully this weekend. A friend does it at 500 with the same dough, plate setter, legs up with no issues.

BTW...I'm in Lake Worth neighbor.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    I only use Publix dough.  I cook at 900+ and haven't had a problem even tho' I know many others have??

Enjoy having the big kids home!  That is always fun! :)
    What exactly is the "Publix" dough? I have done two pizzas now and I am getting the black bottom crust. Top is not getting very browned but darn it sure is good! The bottom isn't really burnt and tastes bad but it sure is close.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Publix is a grocery store located in the southeast. They have an already made pizza dough ball in their bakery.

BBQ Pork with Goat Cheese Pizza
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Ah I see. Thanks Kristi! Didn't know if it there was a recipe floating around online or not. Thanks for the update!

:D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Nec,made three tonight, just like you're talking and grilled them at 400F dome with parchment. They were perfect! Publix dough, too! I used to work at a Dino's Pizza and learned how to spin out a pizza long ago. My wife thinks I am pizza king! So if I can get one right at 900F maybe I could get upgraded! (How do you even measure that?)

Also, witnessed some hot glass blowing today by some guys using a 'green egg on steroids', check it out. The heat inside must've been like 3000F inside, could hardly look at it, check it out!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Turbo-Egg, (>3000F !) below!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And, ahoy jbates67, neggs-door neighbor!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Nec,made three tonight, just like you're talking and grilled them at 400F dome with parchment. They were perfect! Publix dough, too! I used to work at a Dino's Pizza and learned how to spin out a pizza long ago. My wife thinks I am pizza king! So if I can get one right at 900F maybe I could get upgraded! (How do you even measure that?)

Also, witnessed some hot glass blowing today by some guys using a 'green egg on steroids', check it out. The heat inside must've been like 3000F inside, could hardly look at it, check it out!
    Congrats on your pizzas!  Spinning is the way to go.  I have a long way to go before Queen status tho'... but that just means I "have" to make more pizza. ;) 

Glass blowing is so cool...