Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moved the EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,
I have a few concerns about safety. I just moved my BGE that was sitting on a stone, outside my patio door, to inside the patio. My patio is screened in.
I placed the BGE in the corner, where both screens meet, in the large table with the big cut-out. My ceiling is about 10 feet high and I have that indoor-outdoor carpet.
Should I be concerned about the EGG getting too hot or my ceiling getting black or whatever.
When I use the EGG, I am very careful, but you never can be too careful. I have not used it since I moved it.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RUFFO,
    I would not be worried about the EGG getting too hot, but I would be very concerned about the ceiling getting black from smoke. Even though you have screened walls the screening does restrict air movement to aid in the dispersement of the smoke. Unless you plan on constructing a hood with a fan to exhaust the smoke I would move it back outside. IMHO.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    RUFFO,
    Try holding a white board over the top while you're cooking. I think you'll see a lot of smoke residue that will collect on your ceiling.
    JimW

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Fan06_13_0015_56_01.jpg
    <p />RUFFO, I have had my egg in a screened in deck since day 1. I use it about 3-5 times a week - love the location. If you have the option, try a ceiling fan on the deck - the one in the picture is a 3 speed reversible - if there is a breeze I don't turn it on - it there is no breeze I let it take care of the smoke. Good luck

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RUFFO, and last but not least, check with your home owners insurance policy and see if you need a rider to cover that. sometimes even a woodburning stove or a fireplace is considered in your policy. It might be that even your city fire codes may want you to place it farther out in a enclosure. I would be mostly concerned with the embers from the ashpit. Make sure you have a fireproof area around the base. I have burn marks on my lower shelf on my BGE table, so I know they do get out.. In fact, I walked out on my cement patio in my stocking feet, and got a nice burn.
    Cheers...C~W[p]BTW...all the above just in case!

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Gfw,
    You have a great looking screen porch/deck. I didn't see any sign of smoke build up on your natural wood ceiling. Do the skylights open? I was considering building a cover over mine but not quite that elaborate. [p]BTW What kind of digi. camera do you use and do you have a recommendation?
    Bill or toucan1.linder@prodigy.net[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Carolina Wizard, unfortunately the skylights on the deck don't open - the fan (blowing down) does a great job of keeping the air moving - the deck faces west and gets a breeze most of the time.[p]I have a Sony FD88 which I dearly enjoy - I wouldn't be without my digital camera - it (and my laptop) go almost everywhere with me. I used to take a lot of pictures with my 35mm -- the only problem is that I would never get them developed. [p]Recommendation - figure out the amount you want to spend and then find the one with the highest resolution - mine is a 1.3 mega pixel and in less than 1 year I think Olympus just released a 3.3 mega pixel. Yes, I'll probably be replacing mine in the next year but no decision as to with what - there should be another jump in resolution to the 3.3mp which means the 2.1mp and 1.3mp will drop in price.[p]