Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monday Night.........Build Up!!!!!!

Options
FlyingTivo
FlyingTivo Posts: 352
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally it arrived at 5PM tonight, fresh from the factory. I could still smell the adhesive on the gasket. So i jumped the gun and pulled the lower gasket, it peeled off very easy. As you can see in the picture, there are patches of adhesive and patches without. The rest of the adhesive I rubbed it off with my thumb. Then I got my left hand to help me(my son) and asked him to very quietly fill up the rainbow vacuum cleaner and aspirated all the ceramic dust, so my wife would not notice, but she did and just made a small frown. I guess she understood that the new toy was going to bring her more satisfaction later on. The build went very quickly and without a glitch. The only thing is that the dollar bill test, well the mexican bill test for me, was not very good at the back. So I readjusted the hinges with the springs off, and the test is great. Then I attached the springs and the test is not as good as without the springs, but i did a light test and for sure there is no light coming in. So i guess it passed the test, unless you guys have other inputs. I will let the gasket permatex copper silicone dry for at least 24hrs. Then i will do a low burn 250-300 to break it in and get the egg dried up. Then a second burn up to 400 and then ready to cook whatever I can find.

I would like to thank you guys for the wealth of information that made this build experience so enjoyable, by the way, the build only took me 3 hrs including the removing of the gasket and installing rutlands.

Felipe
Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Looking good, Felipe. Now, get some stank on that egg.  :-bd
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Can you elaborate on the dollar bill test.
    I'm guessing your looking for gaps in your new gasket.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • FlyingTivo
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The dollar bill test is to find out if the top is resting with equal force all around the egg. In my case the back part is not resting with equal force as the front, i don't think heat can escape from there, but the springs make the back lift a little. I will try to find a thermal camera just to check while doing a cook. I forgot to mention i left the original upper gasket on. So time will tell, i think it will last longer since its the top part.

Forgot to mention that my Temp gauge was off by 15-20º, i just readjusted. Is the XL supposed to have mesh on the bottom vent? I can't seam to find it?

Felipe
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Just .02

You could also try an infrared thermometer. Might be easier to find/borrow than a thermal camera.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    @Felipe, the screen will slide with the vent. There should be two prongs on the left of the vent. If you hold those and slide vent to the right, there is the screen. I never use it. I am on concrete so no worries for me tho

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Great idea Taz, i have one at hand, will let you know when i start the first burn.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Thanks Paul!!