Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to clean plate setter?

Newbie48878Newbie48878 Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in Forum Feedback
Just purchased a large bge and used the plate setter for the first time. The bottom got dirty from charcoal smoke and is all black. How do you clean this? I rinsed it in hot water. Is there something else I should do?
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418

I would never use water on my platesetter (and I don't like my platesetter). Most of us have dirty bottom platesetters.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    I wouldnt worry about it.   Never gonna have food directly on it.   No way it will return to pristine condition.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • XLentEGGXLentEGG Posts: 204
    The ps will end up being black. Just the way it is. use a drip pan when possible and if you still feel that you need a cleaner ps, just thow it in when you do a high temp burn and clean.
    Yes, this is the biggest one they make.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,371
    edited March 2012
    The only reason I have to clean the plates setters on my eggs is so they don't shed stuff where I store them.  That said I have cleaned them twice.  I used a sparing amount of water from a hose and the grill brush.  I then set them in the sun all day, and actually had no use for them for a week.  They fared just fine.

I would not soak them, nor would I use one right away that had been significantly dampened, but porous means moisture goes out as well as goes in.

I would never introduce water into the Egg its self.

On edit; WATER ONLY.  No soap, no solvents.

Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,819
    If you fire the egg up as hot as you can, the plate setter will get pretty white and clean. (dont forget to flip it so it cleans both sides)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Heat it hot - what doesn't burn off, scrape it off.   Don't think I would even want any water on it - seems like a potential problem.   I always have a drip pan - or piece of foil down to catch dribbles and drips - so all I have on is the blackening from cooks.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • Oops, thank you all for your replies. Will let the ps dry completely before using again.
    ·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 197

Gunk engine cleaner and a 2500 psi pressure washer?

·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 197

Just kidding!!!!!

I never clean mine, a good pizza session and it looks great!

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    +1 for "cook pizza" as an answer
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I can send my dog over, she'll lick it clean and then knock it off the table and crack the leg.......
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    If it doesn't smoke it's not really dirty the black is what shows you are using it.  I scrape the gunk off mine before every cook but never wash it.  

Gerhard
    ·
  • edited March 2012
    A clean plate setter is a sign of a sick mind.

(Just like a clean desk.)
    ·
  • Get a hot fire going and drop the plate setter right in the hot coals. It will look brand new. It's actually pretty shocking.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Once dirty it's useless....throw away and but a new one.
    ·
  • That aint dirt...that's flavor.  Leave it.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Cook some pizzas. Mine came out snow white after a few hours at 600 degrees.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    Once dirty it's useless....throw away and but a new one.
    Absolutely! Although, I'd recommend he throw it away at my house!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • psalzerpsalzer Posts: 106
    Clean it???? Your'e supposed to clean a it???
    ·
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 356
    I brush it off or use a glass scraper! Never wash water! humidity in them is bad!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
    ·
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I put aluminum foil on mine but today I made jerky and forgot to foil the ps. I used a wire grill brush, then foiled it and kept on making jerky. No problem.
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I haven't even considered cleaning mine.
    ·
  • CapnKirkCapnKirk Posts: 12
    Love to find these old posts...my 1st cook was yesterday....staggered starts for all...1 whole chicken (rubbed and "craked open" down the back), 1 whole tri-tip marinated in Mr Yoshida's Asian sauce (really glad Costco in Plano TX started to carry tri-tip roasts in the meat section, loved em in California but hard to find here in TX), and a bunch of sausages.....came out OK for 1st time....overcooked a little as I didn't have a thermometer yet but the wife and neighbors liked it all...as the cook, ya all know we're our own biggest critic.....The wife asked if I was gonna clean the "PS" to which I answered, "of course not", and after checking today I am happy to have found out that I was right...
    ·