Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for setting temp

Options
doj1975
doj1975 Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I'm new to the form and the BGE. I just got a large on Friday. I've already cooked on it about 4 times but i've struggled to get my temp set at a low temp. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options

What temp are you trying to get too?

Located in Western North Carolina
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

My approach for long and slow -  

Get rid of ashes ( either stir them - or clean more if I want a longer cook ).   Make sure each one of those holes in the bottom and sides are clean.   The longer the cook is - the more attention I pay to this step.

Charcoal all the way to top of fire ring.   If I want smoke, will mix in some wood chunks throughout charcoal.

Kinda dig a little indentation couple of inches down in one or two places ( I prefer the back 10 and 2 o'clock ).  Have done many times with just 1 location and did ok, but many reccomend 2 to eliminate the straight down burn.   I think having it at the back, with the air flowing from the front takes care of that.

Light and drop a firestarter block in each indentation, stack a couple of pieces of lump over it.  With lid open, bottom vent all the way open - wait for 2+ inch visible flames.   Kinda a baseball size area lit up.  2-4 minutes normally.    Close lid, bottom vent still wide open, top vent cap removed.

Note: many people have put in the plate setter at this point - I prefer to wait.

Watching dome temp - when it starts climbing above 200 - then I shut the bottom vent to about 1/4 inch wide.   If climbs up close to 300, will tap bottom vent closed a bit, put on vent cap, with daisy holes open.

Wait for the VOC burn down, typically burning at 270-290.   The longer of a cook I am doing, the longer I wait at this stage.   I start messing with the vents, love to get it down around 250 - no lower - I know temp is gonna drop when I add platesetter and meat.   I like to be stable on temp, vents are set holding temp where I want.   Open up, add platesetter.  close lid, go inside to gather up meat, maverick, fix another drink.   let temp recover some, but not all the way.   I know while putting drip pan, grill, meat, hooking up maverick, etc - I am going to let alot of air in - and thus create heat.

Load up everything, then monitor for the next 40 minutes or so.   With the maverick, that means sitting on the other side of the patio with a cocktail watching tv - lol.    After 40 minutes of post load stability - then I am done until time for temp check.

Spend alot of time pre-loading of meat, sometimes will light an hour or more before I actually put meat on.   This helps me get things stable before a long cook.   after the initial monitoring - I am off to bed, etc.

I dont open the lid until the maverick probe has the internal temp to my initial target - with brisket say mid 190's.   Then I open and start poking around with the thermapen, looking at tenderness and temps in the different places.

Guess that my approach may be slow starting up - but I have been successful with 20+ hour cooks without touching the fuel - and holding temps in the 200's, but still enough fuel to bump the temp up some after I finish the plateau if I want to finish anything out.

Hope that helps

Cookin in Texas
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    BBQ Guru...................Life made easy after the wife gets over the sticker shock of the egg purchase. 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • doj1975
    Options

What temp are you trying to get too?

Let's say in the 250 - 300 range.
  • doj1975
    Options
    Thanks Boatbum. I'll try this method.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    1/4 inch on top and bottom on my XL.Catch it on the way up.I start shutting down about 50 degrees from target temp.
    LET'S EAT