Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef on the Egg

smasch
smasch Posts: 115
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried smoking corned beef on the egg?  I saw it on a recent episode of Man vs. Food and it must be tried.  A trip to publix for a corned beef and Thursday evening it will begin.  I will post pics as the situation developes. 
Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Would it not basically be pastrami then?
  • smasch
    That is my train of thought.  It is smoked so it cant be too bad, right?
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Sounds good to me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    theres some good info on the playing with fire and smoke site. the store bought corned beefs turn into a salt lick without  a fresh water soak and dont use a rub with a salt as more salt rises to the surface during the cook. i roll and tie then cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have done this many times on my small egg and also my offset smoker.  This time of year is great to stock up on a few corned beef briskets for the freezer.  

Pro Tips - 
     - Rinse/soak brisket for 30 minutes before cooking...change water often (reduces salt content in meat from cure agents.
     - Let brisket air dry for about 20-30 minutes - rub with cracked pepper and coriander for a faux-pastrami.
     - Refrigerate finished brisket for 24 hours if you want to slice thin for deli meat.

After a few cooks, do some research and corn your own fresh brisket - next level cooking.

Platesetter down/indirect setup, drip pan, oak-apple-hickory for wood chunks.  225-250degrees until 160 internal...let rest for 30-60 minutes...slice against grain or fridge for next day deli slice.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    I'm not too far from brine curing some brisket and trying to make my own corned beef. Still in the information gathering stage. If it turns out half as good as the ham that I brine cured it should be pretty good.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • XLentEGG
    Corning a brisket and smoking into pastrami is super simple. I did it a couple months back.
    Any advice or brine recipe? I will be using pink salt as my cure agent.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

- Rinse/soak brisket for 30 minutes before cooking...change water often (reduces salt content in meat from cure agents.

I don't know if you are using a different kind or brand of corned beef than me, but every one I've done needed a min of 24 hours soak time with 3-4 water changes.  I usually try for 36-48 hours.
  •  

I don't know if you are using a different kind or brand of corned beef than me, but every one I've done needed a min of 24 hours soak time with 3-4 water changes.  I usually try for 36-48 hours.
    I change the water 3-4 times in the 30 minutes.  Find that most of the sodium releases with the first flush.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • mattrwest
    mattrwest Posts: 1
    edited March 2012

I've been smoking corned beef for years and they are fantastic!  Here's the recipe: 

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012

I've done two in the last 6 weeks.  I used the following recipe:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

I would definitely cook it 200 internal rather then 170 as suggested in the recipe.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• smasch
    That looks spectacular.  I have lit the egg and the guru is throttling up to 230.  Hope for pics if the wife doesnt run off with the camera to the swim meet in Greensboro N.C.  tomorrow
  • XLentEGG
    edited March 2012
    That looks spectacular.  I have lit the egg and the guru is throttling up to 230.  Hope for pics if the wife doesnt run off with the camera to the swim meet in Greensboro N.C.  tomorrow
    Could I see a pic of the 42y/o Kamado?  I think I saw one when I was a kid ( 1973 ). It was burnt orange and being used as a planter. ( no dome ) Had a series of holes where the draft door is on the egg. I guess you just plugged holes to regulate the air.
  • smasch
    I will post a pic tomorrow.  Father in law brought it back during The Vietnam War.  It sat in a barn on his farm in Missouri until 3 years ago and I brought it back to Georgia.  
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I will post a pic tomorrow.  Father in law brought it back during The Vietnam War.  It sat in a barn on his farm in Missouri until 3 years ago and I brought it back to Georgia.  
    thank goodness you rescued that poor neglected cooker!! 
    Seriously I would like to see pics of that as well.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    what's the average cook time for a 4lb'er? Plan on loading up the egg next week and doing a pastrami cook for the office.
  • gasface
    gasface Posts: 21
    Im interested too...
    Im doing a super small (2 lber) tomorrow just for tradition...

I was thinking 6 hours ish?