Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat loaf on egg. recommendation???

dreben
dreben Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
thought about trying it,  hoping to get some feed back on your thoughts

Comments

• Mawger
    Mawger Posts: 40

It works!  I made my own recipe for meatloaf and put it in a loaf pan for 30 min. then flipped it out onto the grill.  Worked fine tho I kinda burned the bottom.  But the top  tasted great.

Sandy

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I just follow my regular recipe and bake it 350ish indirect on a pizza stone with whatever wood chunks strike my fancy at the moment. It turns our so much better than in the oven.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I made two, one was in a tinfoil tray and the other directly on the CI grate.  Both indirect.  The first was a tad juicier, the second had a better crust.  They were BOTH outstanding, and the only way I'll make meatloaf from now on.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Trip
    Trip Posts: 27
    This is probably one of my top 3 favorites to eat off the egg. I go indirect @ 400 feet up and just set it on the grid. We use the pioneer woman's recipe and I love her sauce. Be sure to refrigerate the loaf for an hour ahead of time. This will help you get it on the grill.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I am with dreben and would like to try it as well. Anyone care to expand on this? You put the loaf directly on the grate or the loaf PAN on the grate?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Now we are talking. Thanks MQ. I guess what I am confused about is my meat loafs are fairly soft at the beginning so the pan is important in shaping the loaf. I guess that's why you said fridge first so it firms up??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Fridge and enough breadcrumbs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012

Mini meatloaf is your friend. Indirect cook at 375.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Lookin good, will never do another meatloaf any other way.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I go plate setter legs up, drip pan and meatloaf right on the grid.  Cook until internal reached 155.  Mmmmmm...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I saw a video on Youtube for this a couple weeks ago and I plan on making one in the near future. Thanks for reminding me how good it looks!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • I know it's already been posted.... but I couldn't resist....5.5lbs... PS legs up... 400 degrees until cooked through... Ghost Pepper Chili added to sauce for some heat!

<it made me feel better since it was an all SEC BCS Title game.>

BOOMER!
  • I do indirect at 375* F with a drip pan, I bought some slotted silicon mats and wrap them around the meatloaf. Stick toothpicks in through the slots and cook to 165* F. 
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

We like doing the Collucci Borthers meatloaf that was featured on BF Throwdown. I've done it indirect on the grate with some foil to collect drippings making cleanup easier.

And we've done it sitting on foil.image

We prefer on the grate so it isn't sitting in its own fat as it cooks. More info Here

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I picked this up from one of the cooks at last years Eggtoberfest.  The wife and I love it.

Mike

Meat
    Loaf

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Beef

1/2 lb. Ground Pork

1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard

1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs

1/4 tsp. Sage

2/3 Cup Milk

1 Garlic Clove Crushed

1 Egg

3/4 tsp. Dizzy Pig or Montreal Steak Rub

1/4 Cup Chopped Onion

1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

Ketchup & Heinz 57 For
    Brushing

Directions:

1.  Preheat Cooker to 350*F with indirect setup
    (platesetter)

2.  Add 3-4 Chunks of Cherry Wood

3.  Mix all ingredients together in a bowl

4.  Shape mixture into a loaf and place in an
    un-greased loaf pan (9x5x3")

5.  Brush top of loaf with mixture of ketchup and
    Heinz 57 and sprinkle with more steak rub

6.  When cooker is stable at 350* place meatloaf
    in and cook for 1.5 hours until done (internal meat temp 165*)

7.  When meatloaf is done remove from pan and
    rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436

I use a large muffin pan to shape the meatloaves( makes six ) I have holes in the bottom of the pan to help get them out.

I fill the pan @1/3 with meat, then I put in a slice of fresh mozz.cheese,and top off the meat. I then turn them out onto a sheet pan and wrap each one with thick cut bacon, and sauce the tops. I leave a lip with the bacon to keep the sauce in place. 400* dome indirect on a raised grid. Pulled when the bacon looks done enough. I'll post pics next time I cook them.

More meat please !! :-)
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I've done meatloaf on the Egg.  Did mine on foil but think I'll try on the grate indirect next time to get a better bottom crust.
    Large BGE

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

I'm going to try a low carb meatloaf using diced eggplant instead of bread crumbs.  Anyone ever mix sausage in with ground beef and pork?  Say 1/3 of each?