Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice On Cracked Fire Ring

Options
Randy1
Randy1 Posts: 379
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking pizza at 650 degrees yesterday and heard a pop. This pop didn't sound like anything I had heard before. Today, after it cooled, I inspected the egg and saw a hairline fracture in the fire ring (all the way through). Question is, is this fairly common or something I should have replaced? If some of you say "mine has been that way for a couple years" I wont worry about it. If not I will contact the dealer. While I am at it, I was wanting some feedback on moving an egg in a nest while it is still hot is it good,bad or indifferent??
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    out for cleaning, ring and box, i wouldnt cook with it if it didnt go back like a perfect puzzle, this is maybe 5 years back, still going strong

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Randy1
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and pictures fishlessman. That helps.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Wow.  Can't you get a local dealer to replace that mess (under warranty)?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Wow.  Can't you get a local dealer to replace that mess (under warranty)?
    thats not my first one, that one just keeps on working. why would i change it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Get it replaced under warranty. Then keep using the broken one. There will come a day when the warranty might come with a caveat. It's covered under warranty.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Randy1
    Options
    Thanks stike. Great idea.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Get it replaced under warranty. Then keep using the broken one. There will come a day when the warranty might come with a caveat. It's covered under warranty.
    If I'm correct, still have to pay shipping cost for the replacement though?
  • Randy1
    Options
    The dealer told me when and if it breaks in two he will replace it. "It is constantly expanding and retracting"
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't bothered replacing my split fire ring. I did get a fire box replaced when it fell into 4 pieces when I took it out for ash cleaning. Mother ship sent a replacement. I've kept the pieces, and will try to stick the broken one back together with JB Welf, for a just in case.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Shipping is up to the dealer. If your dealer gets a pallet of stuff from the distributor one a week, they'll just include it on the next shipment. If your dealer is very cool (i've heard legend of this, but never encountered the mythical beast), he may open the floor model and give you the ring from that, and he'll just wait himself for the replacement, sending home a happy customer.
    Worst case, your dealer doesnt know what to do, and ultimately orders one special and passes on the shipping

You can cook with the cracked one. I'd put in the warranty request, tell them to call you when it comes in on the next shipment, and try to avoid the shipping expense of a fire ring coming UPS
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Randy1
    edited March 2012
    Options

I did. I went in to the dealer in person and he said ,in a nice way, that he would not replace until it broke completely. So I just said ok.  No mythical beast today. I am ok with it though, if it ever breaks I will march it back in there.I think going in there was the right thing to do though. Thanks for the advice.

Maumelle, Arkansas