Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bitter Turkey

WoodsDogWoodsDog Posts: 41
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a turkey today today on the Egg.  This is probably my 4th turkey since Thanksgiving.  I have used a few different recipes, but today it was rub and cook.  

it seems though, that each turkey I cook turns out slightly bitter. I don't know if that's the exact taste for it, but it's the closest I can describe it.  When i tried Mad Max's version, the gravy was this same "bitter" taste, but way strong.  It wasn't good.It was too much scorched stuff on the bottom of the pan.

I cooked them at 300 - 325 with just lump charcoal.  I've tried different types of lump, Weekend Warrior, Cowboy, Royal Oak.  Same thing.  

The turkey is certainly edible, just slightly bitter. The turkey I cooked today had a 1/2 inch ping smoke ring.  It was very juicy, texture was right.  I think I get the same taste when I do full chickens too.  

Anyone else notice this or taste this flavor? Anyone know how to reduce this bitter flavor?

I've had smoked turkeys (and chickens) elsewhere, and they don't have this flavor.

thanks for any tips!

Comments