Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Venison

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,453
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Venison and grilled veggies for dinner.
Pasquali Luciano
Buon appetito to all the BGE family
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Nice. Venison is great stuff. That farmed or did you take that one yourself?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • lrkay19lrkay19 Posts: 15
    That looks good I do alot of venison how did you cook them and were they tender loins
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,453
    Hunted the last three seasons, and got zilch.  These were a gift.  A backstrap and another unknown cut.

Marinated 24 hours in Dichicko's garlic peri-peri, let set to room temp, and done like a seared steak.  Heat soak to dome to 500, then 5 minutes to a side.
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    I really need to shoot a deer this year!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • tdbmdtdbmd Posts: 41
    Is there are recommended internal temp to shoot for with venison?
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,020
    130°

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
    Pull at 130 and then rest?  I have a couple of small venison roasts that I might try on the egg.
    ·
    I did a 'hot'tub' till 85° then grilled to 130°. Very tender and no gamie taste. I also only did a dry rub.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
    Also, what is "hot tub"?
    ·
  • Mmm... backstrap...  =P~ 
    Looks delish! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,453

By heat soak I mean getting the whole Egg body up to temperature.   A newbie error is to start a cook as soon as the thermometer registers the right temp, which means the dome is not really ready yet.

For a hot cook I usually get the Egg upto 100 degrees higher heat than the tarkget, then slowly cool it down before starting the cook.

Pasquali Luciano

·
    Hot tub is to put in a zip-loc type of bag and dunk in hot water till core temp is what you want.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
    Thanks for the info.  Will have to give it a go, I have lots of venison around.
    ·