Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE thermometer out of whack

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
About to start a brisket, I noticed my BGE thermometer was reading about 120F (before I'd lit the egg), so I figured I'd do a quick recalibration while the fire got going.  I started a pot of water on the stove, and as it came up to a boil, I played with my recently purchased thermapen.  It's pretty darn accurate.  As the water was boiling, I dipped it in, and it quickly settled on a few tenths above 212F.  The BGE was off, so I gave it a little turn.  I was using the retaining clip to hang it on the side of the pot, and to get my wrench on the adjuster I had to slide the clip down a bit.  I noticed several times (not every time) I slid the clip up/down the shaft of the thermometer, it would throw the dial off by 50F or so.  Is this thing dead / time to take it to a local dealer for a replacement?

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Has the sun been shining on your egg for a while?  Don't know where you are located, but 120 degrees inside the egg with the sun shining on it for a few hours could be correct. We are in Southern Pennsylvania and my egg shows over 100 degrees in the afternoon (my deck is situated so it doesn't get direct sun until early afternoon) on bright sunny days.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • njl
    No...it lives on our covered patio in deep shade when not in use.  It's been cool and rainy here the past few days and a week or two since I've used the egg, so it should have been right around 70F.
  • njl
    I stopped by a nearby dealer and got it replaced. Funny thing is when I took it into the store it was reading 200F. Demonstrating the issue to the salesperson, I got it up to 300F just by sliding the retainer clip up and down a few times.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Sounds like you made it excited. ;)
    Lol, sorry the image just brought out the teenager in me.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Mine sits around 110 the past few days in the direct sun...Though it certainly doesn't feel that way when I open up the Egg.....But looks like it's pretty well calibrated.
    Large BGE