Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New kid on the block.

ojt2
ojt2 Posts: 2
edited March 2012 in Root
Just got my  new lrg BGE yesterday. My local retailer has a sale once a year of 30% off everything in his store so I was able to get a large egg and a plate setter for less than the price of a medium.  My question is what is a good first cook for the fresh gasket and how many of these moderate heat cooks should I do before anything goes? Thanks, and I hope I'm doing this right.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    None. It is going to fall off anyway. Just enjoy yourself.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436

WELCOME!!

Some will say Spatchcock Chicken, others low and slow BBQ. I went straight for the Ribeyes. Dont worry too much about the gasket being new. The original felt gasket is only going to last so long anyway. Cruise the forum and you are sure to find a recipe that you will be comfortable with.  Temperature control is the key element of using the egg. SHOW US YOUR FOOD !!

:D
    More meat please !! :-)
  • steaks are easy, chicken is easy, pizza is easy, pork butt is easy, brisket is tough uh make that hard...pick a meat and get afer it..you will do fine...remember you worst cooks on the egg will be better than your good cooks on elec or gas...enjoy your new toy

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I grilled chicken and burgers at first just to get the feel of the egg.  Then moved to smokin chicken and  small brisket.  Don't worry about frying the gasket. It will fry.   It's covered under the warrenty anyway.  Mine lasted for about 2 months and bge replaced it. They have great customer service and stand behind the product.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Just replaced my gasket yesterday after a month. BGE sent me a new high temp gasket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    cortguitarman,

Describe how you did it.  I have a new nomex for the XL and I need to install it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited March 2012
    Easy. Preshrunk gasket in dryer on high heat for 40 minutes. Took the dome off of the egg. Scraped off old gasket and used acetone on the dome and bottom of the egg. This loosened the old adhesive. Scrubbed with a wire brush to remove adhesive. I let it dry for 20 minutes and sprayed the bottom ring with 3m Super 77 adhesive. I let that sit for 5 minutes, or so unil it was very tacky. I started at the back of the egg and worked my way around. Make sure you don't stretch the material. Once I got to the back, I cut the gasket to length with scissors. I used the rest for the some and repeated the process. There was about 10 inches of material left over. Reattach the dome and let her sit for 24 hours. You should be good to go.

The whole Installation process takes about 40 minutes. Good luck.
    Mark Annville, PA