Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt help

Options
frankc623
frankc623 Posts: 168
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
The plan was to cook 2 Boston butts overnight. So last night I fired up the egg, and got my temp stable. Put the butts on, closed her up and waited about an hour to make sure the the temperature was holding steady. I go out this morning and the fire is completely out, dome is ice cold. Butts look barely cooked and were a little warm to the touch. I have no idea when the fire went out, but I am assuming I should just cut my losses and get rid of the 2 butts. I don't want to take a chance and get anyone sick. What are your thoughts/suggestions? I think its time to invest in a temperature controller...
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Tough call there with no info on the temp they reached or the temp there at now.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would toss them and then spend your time figuring out why your fire went out.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Are you mad, do not throw them out.  There is nothing wrong with them.  I assume you had a rub on them, and the initial smoke would keep them fine.  Fire that damn egg up again and get those butts back on there soldier.  No issue, just a mental block you are having.  The butts are warm, because they were cooking.  Let's git er dun.
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm not sure why the fire went out...I spent time building it right....large lump at the bottom...med size on top of that. Should have had plenty of air circulation.

I left them on and went to church and so I'm sure they are cold now. I probably will just pitch them and go buy some ribs or steaks at BJs....I hope I don't screw those up. Very bummed/frustrated.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    I make sure all of the ashes are out of the bottom between the ceramic and sides and the air holes for the fire box. I had same problem just about when I first got my egg and cooked on it the first 11 days I had it, the 12th it did not want to start and get hot. I took the fire grate off and used my shop-vac, got all the ash from the bottom and in around the sides Now I try and keep the small pieces of lump away from the air holes as much as possible when l start up also. Don't get discouraged, it is a learning curve for sure, but when the egg is cooking optimum, I have never cooked on a grill like it. Good Luck!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I'd be eating them. Hahaha
    After they sat in there for a while anything on them that might have been a issue was toast. Something would need to contaminate them while they say in there.

Something magic. I dont believe in magic
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Just remember Stike would eat road kill if it was cooked in a BGE. :-)
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Just remember Stike would eat road kill if it was cooked in a BGE. :-)
    Especially if it was dry aged. :)

Truth be known there is a good chance I would have eaten those butts also. But with the info we had, hard to tell someone to do the same.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    I probably would have re-fired and eaten them but I leave that decision to the person doing the cooking. I would hate to be responsible for anyone else's food safety decision. Each person needs to decide what risk to take based on their experience and the particulars of that cook. My rule of thumb, if in doubt throw it out. Meat is cheaper than medical bills. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    What makes anyone think i need to cook it to it eat it? Hahaha
    Record so far is 100 day carpaccio

I personally do not like the "when in doubt" rule. Its fundamental premise is that it's ok to not understand what is happening with your food.

I mean, why can i keep raisins in my cabinet for a year at room temp? :-?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante