Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Gary, little help.

travisstrick
travisstrick Posts: 5,002
edited March 2012 in Forum List
What wok from the wok shop do you suggest for my XL and spider? I cant stand it another second. I HAVE to get one.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Way to go Travis. Are you being flooded out right now. I am so glad the Salado Fest is next week.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Yep. Its pouring and my sidewalk is flooded. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We are at the top of the hill, spring at the end of driveway is bubbling.  Another boomer just rolled thru.  Guess protecting the large from the hail didn't effect the rain.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    Its really cutting into my golf plans.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Travis,

I have a Large BGE and a 16 inch diameter wok.  That's about the right size for the Large.  The large has about an 18" diameter cooking surface, so my wok is 2 inches smaller.
    Using that logic, it would seem that since the  XL has a 24 inch diameter, a 22 inch wok might be the right size.  Consider that when you are wokking, you want a very hot fire to achieve Wok Hei , but that is a two edged sword.  The intense heat from the fire comes around the wok and is very hot to your arm while using the spatula.  That's why you want a long spatula.  If you have a smaller diameter wok than the 22 inch, your arms would be traveling through a lot of very hot open space.

I would probably get the 22 inch. That's one of those things you'd like to test before buying, but you can't.

http://wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-carbon-steel-steel-handles.html

P.S.  We have had 2.3" of rain so far in Houston.  Not raining now but much more in the forecast.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Bump.  Travis hasn't seen my post, I guess, and it's about to fall off the page..

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    Thank you, sir. I'm stuck in heb. Just checked my phone:) I'll be ordering one when I get home.
  • Mickey

Travis why didn't you just go to Central Market. We picked up some maple-blueberry sausage for early cook Saturday. They taste like pancakes.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    thanks for the tip VI....  is a lid ever needed?
  • Village Idiot
    thanks for the tip VI....  is a lid ever needed?
    XL, I've never needed a lid.  I guess if you were steaming something, you'd want a lid.  But, I normally steam things on the stove.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Mickey, how long did it take to get the sausage looking like that? My mouth is watering.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • travisstrick
    Mickey, use some pepper jelly to dip in.
  • travisstrick
    I just ordered a 20in hand hammered Wok from Mrs Tane. She was super helpful and explained the differences between some of their stuff. If anyone else orders from there, I highly suggest calling and picking their brain. 

Thanks for the advise, Gary. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Travis;

What is the difference between the hand hammered the the regular carbon steal?

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • travisstrick
    The hand hammered is made in China and is a little deeper. It looks a little different due to the hand hammering but, should work the same. I'm pretty excited about it. I also got a large spatchula. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey, how long did it take to get the sausage looking like that? My mouth is watering.
    Sorry. Done at a fest last year and can't remember. That is just the way I like them.

• Mickey
    Travis are you bringing that new wok to Salado?

• travisstrick
    You bet I am. I cant wait. 
  • Mickey
    What did you decide on your XL and Salado?

• travisstrick
    I'm bringing it. I have a trailer that I'm going to wheel my cart onto. It's traveled like that before.