Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help...and luck!

Eggbertsdad
Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I completely forgot about daylight savings time!

So instead of lighting my fire at 6:30, I lit it at 7:30 for my 8lb. BB. I guess my semi-turbo butt just got supercharged. :-S

I plan on letting it smoke low (around 200) for an hour and then letting it rise to 300, unless you guys have a better idea. I'm all ears.
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012
    200 is very low. Go with 230 anyway for low/slow. I cook at 350 the whole time and fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggbertsdad
    Thanks Mickey. It's creeping up towards 300. We're at 250 now. I'm hoping to get it up to temp pretty soon. 

If I go with 350 roughly how long per pound? I know, go by food temp and not time. I'd just like a general idea for planning.

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I would assume about 12 hrs at 250-300.  1.5 per/pound.  My guess anyway, but those butts are a wacky bunch, one is different than the other.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    At 350 I did 4 lb in 3.25 hr. Joan from Austin did same cook with 7.5 or 8lb in a little over 6 hr. I cooked till 160, pulled and wrapped in HD foil put back on to 195 took off and pulled. If ready to soon put in cooler stacked with towels to hold up to 3 hours. I used Butt Rub the night before and got a good bark. The real thick bark is (IMO) the only loss between turbo and slow cooks. This bark is fine. Will never go back to the low and slow. Good luck.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2012

• Eggbertsdad
    Thanks Mickey. I have hope now. I just didn't want to wit until 9 tonight to eat.