Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Official BB SMOKE IS ON!!!!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got my first BB's on my medium just now. I have two 7 lb butts SQUEEZED into my medium and the hickory smoke is a rollin! I also have apple chips sprinkled in about an inch down into the lump and I followed Whiz's instructions to the " T " to get my fire started (Thank you Whiz) I want to thank Tom for his Woo that is allowing me to perform this smoke and hopefully it all turns out ok!! (Meaning I hope I don't screw it up! ) This is my first official smoke without my side fire box Chargriller and I cannot wait to see how it turns out. Positively Giddy. Decided to do an overnight smoke so I don't kill my day tomorrow waiting for the plateau to go increase. God I love my Egg.

Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• NightwingXP
    Oh SNAP! My Maverick 72 just took a deuce!!! I had eventually planned on getting a 732 but 15 min into my cook it just plain died. I put new batteries in it before this cook and everything. It's just plain dead. Damn. My timeline is now moved up for that 732 and me with no money tree. Oh well hell. I'm still cooking!! Going to guestimate my cooking time and stick it with the old rotary thermometer in the morning. Wish me luck!

:-S
  • WHAT NO THERMO PEN??????????????????
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    Nope. Had to get a Woo, 12" stone, Ash tool, Wok ( I blame VI for his brilliant advertising ) and a 14" stone for pizza before I decided to move on to a better digital thermo. My Maverick was working at the time so it was low on priority. DOH!!! Not privy to extensive funds here. LOL. I'm getting there though!
    :D
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Make sure your thermometer reads 212 in boiling water.  If not, adjust it or make a mental note of the difference.  Pull those things at 195 and they'll be perfect.  Simple as that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NightwingXP
    Thanks Choke! I did calibrate both my old rotary and my dome thermo 2 weeks ago with boiling water so I should be good. Just blind till I lift the lid and waste some precious heat. Gonna check them after about 9 hours. Total cook time should be about 10 or so. Not too worried about it. It's a learning process right?!?! Just trying to enjoy it and have fun!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Thanks Choke! I did calibrate both my old rotary and my dome thermo 2 weeks ago with boiling water so I should be good. Just blind till I lift the lid and waste some precious heat. Gonna check them after about 9 hours. Total cook time should be about 10 or so. Not too worried about it. It's a learning process right?!?! Just trying to enjoy it and have fun!!
    Sounds like you got it under control, have a good one!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NightwingXP
    Lets hope so. Thanks again!
  • The nice thing about a Low and Slow is ya cant really ruin it unless you run out of fuel 12-15 hours
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    The nice thing about a Low and Slow is ya cant really ruin it unless you run out of fuel 12-15 hours
    I loaded it up with lump halfway up the fire ring so it should have plenty of fuel! I am amazed at how well the temp has dialed in and regulated. Been holding steady at 250 - 255 for about hour and a half now so I am
    hitting the sack. Will update later with results. Night everybody. Will check it in about 6 - 7 hours or so.
  • Should have filled it up
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    Should have filled it up
    Do you fill yours all the way up Flame? I am still figuring out the limits of my Egg. Most people have either the Lrg or Xlrg Egg so I am trying to adapt feedback to my medium. It's a tight fit but my Woo with a 12" stone is about an inch from the coals when everything is in and sealed tight. Didn't want the coals to touch.
  • Every cook,I fill up. For a long and slow  would do afullclean out and lod new lum to the fire ring. IMO :D
    LET'S EAT
  • And start in 1 place, In the middle
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    Good to know, thanks! I did a full clean and then loaded to about 1/2 way up. I will try it your way on my next one. Gonna have lots of opportunities! Okay, sack time. Good night!
  • Good Nite Egg Head
    LET'S EAT
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    And start in 1 place, In the middle
    Wouldn't that increase the chances of having a fire go out on you?  I like to cut a fire starter square into 4 and then light those in a circle near the middle of the coals.

Gerhard
  • NightwingXP
    I know I broke the sacred rule. I looked! Had to given the circumstances. Been 9 1/2 hours now. Just heard my alarm and got out of bed. Went out side to check them and dome temp was 200. There was no airflow going through the egg as nothing was coming out of the DW. Used the old rotary thermo and they are about 150 internal. I heard crackling start up in the coals as I was checking the butts and I snapped a pic and quickly closed the dome. I opened the DW up a little more ( bout 1/8" and tapped the damper open about 1/8" - 1/4" ) and now there is gently smoke rolling out of the daisy wheel. I am worried about my lump fuel amount. Should I check it or just have faith that there is enough and let the new airflow rekindle it all? Looking goog but this IS technically my first smoke rodeo on the Egg so just sitting unsure right now. Otherwise my backyard smells great!! Used BBB on the one on the left and my own rub on the right. Cannot wait!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    It think as long as the temp rises back up and stabilizes you should just roll with it and hope you have enough. Just a guess but 9 1/2 hours. I'm guessing you have more fuel in there. If it doesn't come up heat up the oven and stick em in there while you add more and stabilize the temp again.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • NightwingXP
    I opened the damper and looked inside. Virtually no ash but little pieces fell through. I have a high q grate so no big surprise there. I drug some of the ash out of the way and tapped on the bottom of the high q some. Some more ash fell through and (not much) and I can't imagine that there is not enough lump in there. Thinkin it just kinda squelched itself a little. Dome temp is now reading about 210 ( after dropping to 150 from me having the lid open ) and there is still good gentle smoke rolling out of the DW. I opened the DW all the way and opened the damper about an inch. Just trying to get the temp up now and regulate. I will keep this thread updated. Thanks Gato on the oven idea. Hadn't thought of that if I need to move it. I don't think it will come to that. We'll see. Having a blast on my day off at 7:30 in the morning on my only day to sleep in. Who needs sleep. I have the Egg.

:x
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Sounds like your in business. Have fun, keep us posted.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    If you must look, do what I do, take the top off and shine a flashlight down the hole.  Don't open the lid.
  • NightwingXP
    Further update......Now have the temp up to about 260ish. I am dropping dampers back down and trying to stabilize. Still have gentle smoke and it seems to be all forward momentum from here. Internal temp was 150 so I wonder how long to cook now? Since my Maverick took a dump ( earlier model ET-72 with one probe ) I am having to guess the time to check internal temp with a rotary dial thermo. Gonna give it at least a couple hours and then check it again.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Keep posting. This fun for us.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NightwingXP
    Thanks  Mickey I am having a blast. My first overnight and its testing me! I know how screwed up I am but I don't have to tell my Egg that

8-}
  • NightwingXP
    So I am looking for a Maverick and found a dual probe Maverick (ET-7) that is about $20 cheaper than a 732. Any body have this or know of it? It looks to maybe be an older model but I am curious if it would work as good?
  • For only $20 cheaper, I don't think you can pass on the 732. If you buy it at amazon.com, you can sign up for their credit card and get a $30 instant credit bringing your total cost to $29.
  • NightwingXP
    Well twist my arm! Thanks!! lol
  • NightwingXP
    Update......It is holding steady at 250 now. Has been for about an hour and a half. Not sure when to check it for temp again. Think I will go check it in about half an hour. Has been on the Egg for a total of 12 1/2 hours now. Prob would have been done if not for the stall in temp overnight.
  • NightwingXP
    Ok just probed one of the butts. Its at 170. This is turning into a long cook. Hope my lump holds out

[-O<
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Good luck with yours Nightwing.

Mine is hold a steady dome temp of 300. I put mine on at 8:15 this morning. I plan on checking it in an hour.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)