Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The spiders

Options
paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about getting a spider for the XL. Is there a cast iron grid for tht? Thanks

Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I just got some cheapy grids of diff sizes from Academy. They work great. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I have an 18" cast iron for my XL BGE.  From what I recall it is the large cast iron grate out of BGE company.  Works well with the spider.  
  • paulheels
    Options
    Thanks!

Paul
  • paulheels
    Options
    @Irish, thanks.  still weighing my options on what I want to do.  Definitely do alot of searing, so that is my main goal with the spider.  I am also intrigued with the raised grid.  I am happy with my plate setters, so I am not too concerned with the indirect options.  preciate the help.

Paul
  • paulheels
    Options
    Is there that big of a difference between the Spider with the .75 drop for the Woo2 and the Spider with the 1.25 drop for the Flip3?  I know this is a hugely discussed topic,  I am deciding among the 1.25 Spider, the Woo2 or the Flip3, which I think comes with the spider.  

Paul
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that, I went with the one with the biggest drop so I could get steaks etc.. closer to the flame for the sear.  It is great.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    BGE's medium or large cast iron grid will fit either xl spider or the xl woo's bottom ring.   

The .75 xl spider when sitting in the three shallow dimples atop the fire ring buts the 17.5 inch pizza stone at the same height as the platesetter.  if you set the .75 spider in the platesetter notches, it drops down further, about 1.5 inches. 

The 1.25 xl spider drops 1.25 inches when sitting in the shallow dimples and approx. 2 inches when sitting in the platesetter notches.   This is the best one for searing, as it drops closer to the lump.  

The xl woo has the .75 spider attached and allows you to position the xl grid near the felt line, for a raised grid direct set up.  if you add the 17.5 stone with the xl woo, it's basically a platesetter set up.  

hope this helps. tom  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    I just ordered the the spider and the wok for my large, time for some oriental cooks.

• mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options
    I was trying to figure out what a spider is? Down south our grand mothers called a spider a cast iron pan. I did see the links to the spider here. I have a very seasoned wok now all I need is a spider if I understand this?
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Is there that big of a difference between the Spider with the .75 drop for the Woo2 and the Spider with the 1.25 drop for the Flip3?  I know this is a hugely discussed topic,  I am deciding among the 1.25 Spider, the Woo2 or the Flip3, which I think comes with the spider.  
    Paul
    The flip + 1.25" spider is a great combo.  I have the Wooo with the spider and it is only .75" drop and I would like it to drop at least another 1/2" closer to the fire.  I think the .75" drop is considered better for putting a stone on for using in indirect cooks.  I'd  do the flip ring + spider combo if your budget permits it.

I got an 18" CI grate off Amazon to use with the spider.  It's really nice for steaks and lamb chops.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have an XL as well with the platesetter... am trying to decide what combination of items to buy... Right now I'm thinking about just the spider and a pizza plate (for pizza not indirect) and just using bolts or patio stones to raise the grids....
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Not to highjack, but after a seer on the spider, would it be safe to put a "room temp" plate setter in the hot egg to finish? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    just got my 1.25 spider for my XL yesterday...  hopefully i will have my WOK by friday!!