Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Cooks in a Small

Options
tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can the small BGE hold enough lump for an overnight cook?

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I heard different takes on this, one told me it holds 8 hrs worth, so not really.  But someone on hear, I can't remember who said this is absolutely not true and they did a 14 hr cook no problem.  I would assume some good long burning wood and you can (Weekend warrior or such).  
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options
    So it looks like a turbo-butt is in order instead of a low and slow.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    There ya go!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I wouldn't count out a low/slow yet. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did (2) 8 pound shoulders in my small once on their sides. I don't remember the exact time but it was around 12-14 hours. It will go much longer than 8 hours if you fill it all the way to the top of the fire ring. I also did 8 pounds of pulled beef once when camping which was also more than 8 hours.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I've done a few long cooks in my Small.  My longest was 10 1/2 hrs using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior hand stacked mid way up the fire ring.  I had enough lump leftover to go at least another couple of hours.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA