Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt this weekend. Asking for tips?

Options
NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I plan on doing my first pork butt this weekend and I hope to get some good ideas from anyone. I will be smoking to internal temp, not time. I will be using chips so do I only add them once and spread around the lump evenly? Do I need to add more later. When I have used my Char Griller smoker with side fire box I have added chips every 30-40 minutes for the first 3-4 hours. I have read/been told that meat only absorbs smoke for about that long. What is the SOP on an Egg for this. Any other ideas / hints? Thanks everyone! Appreciate your feedback!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options

Soak chips and spread evenly around.  No need to add any later.  I now use chunks and do not soak.

Boston Butt is pretty simple cook as long as you build the fire right.  Use largest chunks of lump bottom.  Get dome temp at 250 which will give you a grid temp of around 225.  Fat side down.  I really don't think it makes a difference if it's fat up or down.  I do down so some of the fat cap comes off when i lift butt off grid.  I'd rather have a little fat cap stick to grate than meat side. 

Smoke until about 195 or bone will pull freely.  Pretty simple cook.  I'm sure you will be fine.

Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Mix the chips through the lump. Clean out your egg and shop vac out all the ash. You can even lift out the fire ring and firebox and clean out all the ash from there too. Fill the egg to an inch or so below the top of the fire ring. If you want to be absolutely sure set your lump up with the biggest pieces at the bottom and go upwards with the medium and small. Stabilise the egg for an hour or more at 250* and put the meat on. Temp will drop so wait til it recovers and check a couple of hours later to make sure it is still there. Go to bed and check it in the morning.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Get a Maverick remote thermometer and do what the other guys said.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Here's my process for smoking butts on my large Egg:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/11/how-i-smoke-pork-butts-for-pulled-pork.html

I'd also recommend checking out the Naked Whiz's site for the Elder Ward pork butt post.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    And remember that meat not only does not ever absorb smoke, it will yet continue to be flavored by it at any time, any temperature.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Elder Ward's method is great but he calls for 225*. Strike that and go with 250* for your first one. Serious

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    Yeah. What he said. 250
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I didn't understand your e-mail but it sounded like a lot :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NightwingXP
    Options
    Ok just a little update to my setup. I have a medium with a Woo2 / 12" BGE stone for indirect and will be cooking at the felt line with the standard BGE grate. Will 2) 7-8 lb butts fit on there or can I only do one?

Thanks for the help guys !!  This helps IMMENSELY!!!
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    I can do two on my medium.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven
    edited March 2012
    Options
    You can do a dry test to see if they will fit...should be close on a medium. Despite what is often said if the butts are touching it won't double your cook time because they will shrink. You should be able to stand them up on the ends and be OK. Make sure your dome thermo doesn't touch the meat if you are using it (as opposed to a Maverick etc)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NightwingXP
    Options
    I will be using the dome thermo and I have a Maverick with a single probe. Plan on upgrading to the 732 eventually but too many needed necessities. Have to pace myself. No money tree in the backyard........
    :((
  • greennewb
    greennewb Posts: 62
    Options
    Don't worry about it.  A butt is the most forgiving cook you can do.  It will be good as long as you get the internal temp of the meat to at least 190.  Happy grilling!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I am really looking forward to it! This will be my first smoke on my egg. Have had it for a month or so now. This is gonna be great!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I always look forward to a good cook. Early in the am, cup of coffee, don't get no better. What time you kickin off?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Am I the only one that never cleaned out his egg with a vac?  Never had a problem yet.
  • NightwingXP
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I always look forward to a good cook. Early in the am, cup of coffee, don't get no better. What time you kickin off?
    Mmmmmm........that does sound good Gato! I will probably sleep in a little since its my one day a week to do it. Will be up around 6 and smoking by 7:30. ( I hope ) Will rub down my butts Sat night for an over night flavor soak and let them rest on the counter for about an hour before I toss em on the Egg.
    [-O<
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    I've had some good results injecting them with NC style vinegar sauce.
  • stike
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Dont bothsr letting them warm up. That's good for roasts and steaks but doesnt do anything for you with a butt. For steaks or roasts it gives you even heating during a short cook. But a butt of pulled pork is going to be taken way past tbe temp a roast would be cooked to.

Cold meat gives you a nice looking smoke ring too, even though it's only cosmetic
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Anytime you add something that is not the same temp. you are gonna get a heat sink for awhile till it catches up to the internal temp. of the BGE
    LET'S EAT
  • stike
    Options
    Yep
    But it isnt going to warm up much in an hour anyway

I prefer the smoke ring myself. And will usually put in the platesetter coldalong with the meat cold. Holds temps down an extra hour or so. I can make up any 'lost' time from recovery by bumping it up at the end if need be. But that recovery time is minimal enough it's difficult to even attribute any extra time to it.