Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pros & Cons of Purchasing a Small Egg

Options
Chief
Chief Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an opportunity to purchase a new small BGE for $200...comes with #20lb bag, temp gauge (I have not seen it). Does the small BGE come with SS vents and/or locking bands? And is this a good price?
What are the pros and cons of a small egg.
I have a large egg.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chief,
    Same price I paid, without lump or temp guage.
    The small egg is a great accompaniment for your large. It takes longer to get going, but once it does it screams. Searing is more pronounced that with the large since the coals are closer to the grate. A 600 degree sear on the small is kind of like a 750 sear in the large. The only limitations are its size...yet it is amazing how much you can get on it.[p]I don't think the auto locking band is available for the small. It does not come with SS vents, though you might be able to get that as an option.[p]Buy it, and don't look back.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Chief,[p]2 bills for that setup sounds pretty good. It's the same as I paid buying direct from Atlanta with the "Eggtoberfest special". Locking bands are not available for the small just yet and the SS vent is probably not included in your deal. The small is a perfect companion to your large Egg and you'll find yourself using it a lot. It's great when you just need to cook for a couple of folks. Also handy when your dinner will consist of two entrees, each with different time, temp and firespice requirements.[p]You won't regret it.[p]K~G

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Chief,
    Jump on it like a Duck on a Junebug. I use my small more than my large.

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Chief,[p] I was in BBQs Galore the other day and the vultures there wanted $179 for a mini (whether or not $179 is a good price for a mini, I still consider the salespeople there to be vultures!) so $199 for a small sounds like a good deal to me. I got my small as a closeout from a store that BGE decide to stop supplying so mine was a little less, but I just got lucky . . .[p] I love my small BGE. It is obviously more convenient for cooking small portions, and as NB said, it is better for searing than my large. I also like using it and the large in tandem, I sear meat on the small, then slow cook it in the large! Finally, it's a bit more portable than the large so I can take it with me if I feel like it.[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    MikeO,
    Man, I can't believe I overlooked mentioning the portability advantage. That is one of the main reasons I bought it. Great for car camping, tailgating, picnics, and taking to other folks houses to cook. Not nearly as portable as the mini, but not too tough to load and unload.[p]Better go fire up the egg.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chief
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks all for your input. Using the immortal words of JJ: I will get it like a Duck on a Junebug.
    Thanks again.
    Chief

• Unknown
    Options
    Chief, I have a B/D coming up in July and have been dropping lead weighted hints to momma kat that our large needs a nice small soul mate. I hope she has picked up on them, but I figure if she doesn't then my fall back plan goes in to place.
    I'll just come home with a small one and say "honey, look at the little stray that followed me home tonight...it might rain so I think we better keep it...isn't it cute?" Then I'll run out and cut another hole in my long table where I "just accidentally" provided space...just in case... ^oo^~

• Chief
    Options
    one feral kat,
    You are so ingenious...now my wonderful wife of only 6 mos will not understand why I need a mate for my large one. But is quite obvious when you are only cooking for 2 you don't need to fire up Big Humpty. I agree all eggs need a mate. But I found this amazing sell in Alabama and I have called around and no one seems to beat their price. Of course, I told my wife this is my Father's Day present from her.
    You think this approach will work???

• Unknown
    Options
    Chief , yup, that should work, but just in case practice with me..."Honey, look at the little stray that..." ^oo^~

• Chief
    Options
    one feral kat,
    "Honey, look at this little stray..."
    That should do it. But in case it doesn't my backup was "I did make reservations for us at>>>>>"

• Chief
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Will the entire small BGE fit in the trunk of a normal size car?

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Chief,
    I put it in our Avalon's trunk on its side.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chief
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That will work fine. I want to take it to B'ham this weekend and cook on it for my Father.
    Thanks for the continued help and assistance.[p]Chief

• Nature Boy
    Options
    MrToadsLoin
    <p />Chief,
    Any time. Your Dad won't know what hit him! I took the small up to my folks place and cooked Christmas dinner. First a Mr. Toad's pork loin, then some filet mignons. Junior made a big splash that day. I think I still have this shot of the magic junior made that day.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chief
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That picture alone sells the small egg and its mobility to take anywhere.
    We thank ya......I contacted the lady in Alabama and will pick up the small one Friday.
    Thanks

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    JJ,
    I ditto that - I have used my large only twice since April when I got my small. Summer is comming and lots of ribs will be cooking soon so the big boy has not been forgotten.[p]Tim

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    Chief, Go quick and get it. I have a small only--plenty big enough for us. I paid $605 for mine after taxes but I had to use our little 48 cent Can. dollars. Oh, it hurts. Gord
  • Chief
    Options
    g-o,[p]Gord, thanks for the advice....wouldn't it be cheaper to buy in the US???