Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Nature Boy (or others)

Options
Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have access to a bunch of fresh coconuts that are about to get ripe. Any one got any suggestions on what to do with the milk and the meat/fruit? Wife does not like the commercial dried coconut flakes, but think she will like the flavor of these 'fresh' ones.[p]All chicken, pork or fish recipes welcomed.[p]Thanks,
Steve[p]Oh, by the way these Dizzy Dusted turkey parts are on the ceramic as I type ;)[p]dizzyturk1.jpg[p]

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Don't know what to do with the meat, but the water is great in rum (or gin) and coconut water...[p]Ken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Hmm. I have not been lucky enough (an prolly too lazy) to use fresh coconut milk, but the stuff is magical. Seems like half the Vietnamese desserts my wife's family makes use cocunut milk (and usually some sort of bean or tapioca), but my favorite use for coconut milk is in a rich curry sauce. Of course we just use the cans....but I know what your wife is saying. The canned stuff has a slight metallic twang to it.[p]Just thinkin out loud here, but if'n I had me some fresh coconut milk I might try whipping up a sauce with dijon mustard, coconut milk, and a little lime juice or zest and use it on some grilled shrimp, fish or even chicken breastisses. You could even give the sauce a slight curry twist too with some Panang curry paste! Or just a squirt of Sriracha![p]"I like coconuts. You break 'em open and they smell like ladies lying on the beach". (Widespread Panic)[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy wrote "...Just thinkin out loud here, but if'n I had me some fresh coconut milk I might try whipping up a sauce with dijon mustard, coconut milk, and a little lime juice or zest and use it on some grilled shrimp, fish or even chicken breastisses. You could even give the sauce a slight curry twist too with some Panang curry paste! Or just a squirt of Sriracha...."[p]Just what my brain needed...a little prodding :) Well, my Key Lime tree is loaded with fruit, too, so I can see the coconuts, limes and mustard in a few experiments. Definitely 'shrimp on the barbie' will be one of the first.[p]Thanks again.....[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />Rumrunner,[p]Coconut shrimp are good and not bad for you if you don't deep fry them. I did these on the BGE on a hot pizza stone. Season the shrimp, lightly dredge in flour, dip into whipped egg whites, spray with olive oil and onto a hot stone for a minute or two a side. I dip them in warmed apricot jalapeno jelly.[p]Chuck [p]shrimp2.jpg[p]
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Chuck ,
    That is the best picture I have seen here in years. I have seen that one before, and I just love it. Nice shot, and I am sure it was equally tasty.
    Seth

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Thanks Seth...and they do taste as good as they look. I haven't made them for a few months but will be doing them again soon now that I (and my wife) have been reminded of them. [p]By the way I love your handle here. Crabbing (catching and eating) is one of my favorite things to do. I actually did a little early season crabbing today. It was a little slow as the water is still pretty cold but we did get several keepers. [p]Have a great week.[p]Chuck[p]