Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Ceramic stones

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do you use the same side of the stone on every cook or rotate?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Options
    Oh, for pizzas that is.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I always use the same side. Don't know why, just do.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Chubbs
    Options
    Yeah, I have too until pizzas last night. I switched it up so it had me wondering what others do.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

After reading the forums for a while I think people might be thinking too much about their pizza stones.  The purpose of the stone is to provide a consistent temperature-stable cooking surface for the bottom of the pizza.  You put it in the Egg and let it heat up while the Egg is coming to temp.  When you open Egg and throw in a piece of cold dough, some of your heat escapes but the stone is not going to cool significantly (due to thermal mass) and the air that escaped will be replaced with hot air in a matter of minutes. 

Back in my pizza shop days (see profile pic) we had gas-fired Bakers Pride ovens that had a 3 inch thick slab of stone between the burners and the oven space.  The ovens were set to 650 degrees.    Opening and closing the oven doors to cook the pizzas would eventually cool the ovens slightly but it took several hours during the "rush' on Friday nights before the stones would start to cool and slow the cooking time.

With all that said I think a thicker stone might enable you to cook several pizzas back to back over a longer time due to its mass.  I currently use a 1/4 inch thick Pampered Chef stone we have had for 15 years because that's what we had when I got the Egg.  I'll replace it with a thicker stone when/if it breaks.  So far I have cooked three 12 inch pizzas a week @ 650s degree since November 2011 and the stone seems to do the trick.  I place platesetter legs down, then BGE grate then stone.  I found placing stone directly on platesetter makes the bottom of pizza cook faster than the top so I add air space.  You need to experiment with your stone and your cooking temps.  You can also use canning jar rings to space stone (or a drip pan) on top pf platesetter.

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    Options
    Bakerman I have been looking for a good pizza dough recipe and suggestions? Currently I use Alton Browns but i am looking for something more similar to the mellow mushroom pizza chain type crust. Thanks in advance
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    The Martha Stewart pizza dough recipe is good also -- dont have it handy but I am sure you could google it.
    Cookin in Texas
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks my son a JWU culinary student told me to cut down on the needing making to much gluten making it real tough I will take a look at martha's
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    For all I know there could be a picture of Bozo the Clown on the back of mine. 
    I have never thought to turn it over. lol.