Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

max temp for the indirect plate setter

Options
the butcher
the butcher Posts: 20
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know how much heat the indirect plate setter can take?  Just wondering for a pizza cook.  

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I will be interesting to see comments.  The plate setter was glowing red when it was created.  I suspect you can't get the Egg hot enough to fail, and if you did you'd have the whole Egg fail.

On the other hand, I doubt putting a cool setter in a hot Egg would be a good idea, nor would dropping cool liquid on a hot one.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I believe the plate setter and the pizza stone are made of the same ceramic the BGE is composed of. I would imagine the heat needed to compromise the plate setter would be far higher then the egg is capable of reaching.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Anyone know how much heat the indirect plate setter can take?  Just wondering for a pizza cook.  
    Had it to 1200* for a naan cook. No worries

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Well. When they fired the platesetter itself, originally, it was probably taken to a serious cone level. Like 10'or above.

If you can sustain 2500+ degrees for 8 or 10 hours, you might want to worry. Other than that, yer probably good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante