Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guide to Green Egg Shrimping

Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for some specific directions concerning how to cook shrimp on the egg. I need temps, direct/ indirect, raw vs. pre-cooked, and time directions. 

some of the shrimp i see looks flat our raw, where some of the "raw" shrimp i see at the stores looks pre-cooked. Some say 2 minutes per side but dont talk about shrimp size, direct or indirect , or temps. 

please advise,

thanx

Greygoose

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

We have shrimp alot, here's what we do. Marinate the 21-25 count size peeled and deveined, tails on shrimp from Costco, in 1/4 cup EVOO, along with 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper. Mix this all together, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Skewer on pre soaked skewers and cook at 325-350 for approximately 2 minutes a side, until opaque in color. Nice little kick from the peppers.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    i have a very scientific method of determining when the shrimp is done.  I always put at least two extra shrimp on the grill.  After they look opaque, I take one of the shrimp, and bit into it, revealing the meat throughout the body.  If not quite done, I consider it sushi, and swallow it, wait another 20 seconds, and repeat the process on the other shrimp.

Works for me. 

Cook direct.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830

shrimp are a fast cook,  if you think they may be done, more than likely they are........one quick way to flip is use a double grid method

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i have dusted them with old bay, and put onthe grill just like the above.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• wood planking works nicely with shrimp.  i've also skewered, but plank is easier prep.  marinading in coconut milk + onion/garlic/peppers works well.
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    No marinating.  Just add the Szechuan sauce.

or add a curry sauce

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Gary,

Getting adventurous eh? Curry sauce. I'm impressed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Steve,

I got the curry recipe from my guru, Mahatma RichardFl.  It's excellent on shrimp and scallops.
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I like the Naked Whiz's shrimp on planks recipe. It was really easy and very good.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/plankedshrimp.htm
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r626/jpeterman1979/1b6f1776.jpg

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven

Gary,

My local Indian guy does an amazing shrimp curry. Beautiful match.

Have fun in Salado and grab a coupla bottles of Bomba from Mickey if they survive the trip.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot

Gary,

My local Indian guy does an amazing shrimp curry. Beautiful match.

Have fun in Salado and grab a coupla bottles of Bomba from Mickey if they survive the trip.

Thanks, Steve.  I'm looking forward to it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    This month's Cook's Illustrated :
    Thread 21/25 shrimp onto two skewers, head-to-tail, brush both sides with oil, salt & pepper.  Sprinkle one side with a pinch of sugar.
    Sugared side down over a hot fire, 4~5 minutes, flip and grill 1 to 2 minutes more.  
    They then toss it in a homemade sauce, and grill 30 seconds more.
    The sauce is here:  www.CooksIllustrated.com/apr12, and I'm getting really p*ssed about having to fire up my computer to complete a recipe in CI... 
    ~X(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I just clean the raw shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.  Sprinkle with DP Jamaican Firewalk to the heat level desired and grill at about 400* for approx 2-3 minutes per side.  A little applewood smoke is nice, but not too much as seafood will really soak up the smoke.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have been tossing them in a little EVOO and chili lime rub and then cooking them exactly like VI...including the taste tests. They are one of our favorite things to Egg.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Until now (Columbia, SC), I have lived on the water all my life (Beaufort, SC). You guys are killing me with these shrimp photos this AM. Shrimp is one of my favorites. I think I will have to egg some this weekend. Thanks for posting.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I always buy fresh shrimp and cook raised/direct.

I think shrimp have a built-in "I'm done" feature -- when they turn pink and curl… they are done. I also leave the shell on when I cook them on the BGE to protect the meat and keep them from drying out (I still devein them).

Here is one of my favorites with Cilantro, Scallions, Lime Juice, Fish Sauce, Sugar, and Pistachios:

Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios

Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime & Pistachios
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Looks incredible Kristi! As always, you pictures are great.... My stomach is growling at work...

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

Looks incredible Kristi! As always, you pictures are great.... My stomach is growling at work...

What Chubbs said.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682

@tvj double grill method - how cool is that?  Going to give that a go this weekend along with scallops

thanks

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Holy cow those look good with the pistacchios.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

NecessaryIndulg

Great looking cook! How much of each ingredient do you use and what is the procedure?

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited March 2012
    Thanks, Guys!  

I'm not very good with following directions or measuring but that recipe will give you a good idea of amounts.

I changed it up a bit:  I used 2 pounds of Key West Pinks, Pistachios, and way more cilantro and scallions.

You can read about what I did here -- http://necessaryindulgences.com/2012/02/grilled-shrimp/

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Steve,

I got the curry recipe from my guru, Mahatma RichardFl.  It's excellent on shrimp and scallops.
    :)

VI, that curry sauce looks amazing. My wife and I love curried shrimp. We make ours with butter, shallots, garlic and mild curry. Is your curry recipe one you can share? Just athought I'd ask.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Sure Scoter.

RichardFl (from the other forum) had given it to me a year or so ago.  He recently said that I could post any of his recipes.  So, here it is.

3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons Shallots, minced
    2 teaspoons Lemongrass, minced
    1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Curry powder
    14 ounce can Coconut Milk
    1 tablespoon Coriander , ground
    1.5 teaspoons Sugar
    1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
    1 teaspoon Lime juice
    1 teaspoon Tamarind Paste
    ½ teaspoon Salt
    2 whole Cloves
    Salt & Pepper
    Heat oil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add shallots, lemongrass, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add curry powder and saute for 2 minutes longer. Add coconut milk, coriander, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind paste, salt, and cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• scooter759

Awesome! Thanks Gary.

Believe it or not, I have everything on that list except the lemongrass and coconut milk. May pick up some scallops while I'm out and try those as well. I use Vadouvan curry powder from Williams Sonoma. It is sweet and mild. Does this recipe use something similar.

Already have salmon thawed out for tonight, but I see this in the very near future.

Thanks again!

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    I used Penzey's Maharajah Curry powder on the picture you see.  But, afterwards, I went to an Indian grocery store and had them smell it.  They looked like they were going to puke.  I didn't buy any of theirs, but before I do this again, I think I will buy some authentic Indian curry. 

One good thing about Houston.  It was just named the most diverse city in the United States, beating out New York.  That presents it's problems, but whatever kind of food you want, it's available.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• scooter759

Yea, can't say its been easy finding stuff in Mankato, MN. It's a far cry from San Antonio and San Diego.

I REALLY miss Central Market in San Antonio. Been in Houston a few times. Absolutely love the Seafood Fondue at Boudreaux's Cajun Kitchen.

Sorry to divert from the thread. Just reminiscing....

• Village Idiot
    Really?  I know where Boudreaux's Cajun Kitchen is, but never been there.  Lots of cars there when I go by.  Might have to try them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103

We have shrimp alot, here's what we do. Marinate the 21-25 count size peeled and deveined, tails on shrimp from Costco, in 1/4 cup EVOO, along with 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper. Mix this all together, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Skewer on pre soaked skewers and cook at 325-350 for approximately 2 minutes a side, until opaque in color. Nice little kick from the peppers.
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. i used the above recipe and went about 2-3 minutes per side. Came out grfeat. Huge hit. i did cut the cayenne down a bit, but they were still spicey and cooked through. I'll be cooking alot shrimp to accent my steaks and ribs now that i know its a 4 minute frigin cook. hell the meats not even done resting by the time these bad boys are done.

thanks again.

GreyGoose
  • Little Steven
    I used Penzey's Maharajah Curry powder on the picture you see.  But, afterwards, I went to an Indian grocery store and had them smell it.  They looked like they were going to puke.  I didn't buy any of theirs, but before I do this again, I think I will buy some authentic Indian curry. 

One good thing about Houston.  It was just named the most diverse city in the United States, beating out New York.  That presents it's problems, but whatever kind of food you want, it's available.
    Indians use very little curry powder (unless it is a specific blend for fish, goat, chicken etc.) That is more a British concoction. Always too heavy on turmeric for my tastes. Indian cooking relies on cumin, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, corriander, bay, pepper and salt as the basic masala. Usually whole and toasted and ground of fried and cooked in the dish. Mahatma's version is more of a Thai penninsula curry

Steve 

Caledon, ON