Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about hail

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
They are forecasting hail for tonight.  Large is in a SS steel table and in the open unprotected.  Suggestions what to do to protect the egg from damage.  
There is a Murphy's law at work: If you are prepared for the worse, nothing will happen.  
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Just secure a heavy blanket over it.  If you have hail big enough to chip or crack it through a blanket, then you have bigger problems than your Egg.

Hail trashed my screen porch last summer.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    Options
    an inverted brute garbage can should do the trick.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Is it on wheels?  Can't you move it to your garage?

On the other hand, unless it's giant hail, I wouldn't think it would hurt the egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    VI yes on wheels no can't get to garage.  We have a old army blanket (1968) we  keep in the car.  Duct tape and an old wool army blanket might work. 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    My two Eggs survived hail storms last year that ruined our roof and vinyl siding and they only had the Egg cover and a pop up canopy (which was shredded by the hail).   Just the thickest blankets you have should do the trick.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I totally forgot that I had a BGE table cover.  That and the Army blanket should do the trick.  The Southern Specialty SS table is slightly deeper the the old wood table...duct tape should help hold everything down.  We live at the top of a hill the wind really blown in from every direction.  

PS just found the cover, got the blanket and the hatches are battened down.  

Thanks everyone
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    You know, if hail damages it the insurance company will buy you another. Could be a possibility of a 2nd egg in your future. Only kidding. Is be freaking out too.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • austinfajitaman
    Options
    Don't go to too much trouble or you'll chase the rain away!  We need to fill up that lake.  I don't believe our weathermen most of the time anyway.  Good luck.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Austinfajitaman I am worried about too. We need the rain and I dont want to chase that away
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    I had about 1.5 size hail last week during the tornadoes here in Indiana and my egg survived....Funny thing is my wife asked about the car and I said "forget the car, is my egg okay?"
    Large BGE

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    EddieK76  I can relate to that.  
    Austinfajitaman, hope you got a good soaking in your neck of the woods  
    Murphy won again... the hail never came but today we have over an inch of rain and looking at the radar there is more rain to come.  We need every drop we can squeeze out of these clouds.  
    Thanks everyone for the ideas and feedback
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Heat the egg up until the needle is pinned and the hail will just melt before it ever comes in contact. Like one giant heat forcefield.

Signed, Superman