Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What is "the turbo method" for butts

eggoeggo Posts: 492
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
An all night cook seems a little risky for me at this point. Please explain the turbo method.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,531
    you can also go in between turbo and all night by using a a little hotter Egg during the day. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136987/semi-turbo-pork-butt/p1

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
    Cook it at 275 ish, should take hr/lb maybe a little less. maybe a hair bit more. No foiling, no flipping. That's how I do mine.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,834
    Large, small and mini now in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,482
    Cook it at 275 ish, should take hr/lb maybe a little less. maybe a hair bit more. No foiling, no flipping. That's how I do mine.

Paul
    Now I may give that a try.  I don't like the Texas Crutch (aka foil) sorry Mickey, VI and other Texas members.
    :\">  It seems every time I do, even with the CWM rib method, the bark you try to create early in the cook is damaged by the foiling.  But then again, what do I know?  ;)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,622
    I had to try to cook a pork picnic using "turbo" heats. I had this notion I could get up at 5 a.m. on a winter day, start the Egg, and finish by 6 p.m. Hah! It was almost 9 a.m. before i had a stable temperature, and lite smoke. I took the temp up to 310. By 2 p.m., the meat was close to 180 all over. I dropped the temp to the standard 250 dome, removed at 195+ at 4 p.m. It was fine. Maybe a tiny bit less smoke flavor, but no problem pulling the meat at all.

Note: picnics seem to always cook just a bit faster than butts. Maybe a little less connective tissue, and perhaps the bone conducts heat thru the center of the cut.
  • eggoeggo Posts: 492

Paul
    This sounds good. Think I'll try it. You're talking indirect, right.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • bamafan62bamafan62 Posts: 137
    I did my fir$t Turbo the other day.  I took the BB of at 195 degree$.  I think the BB wa$ a little dry.  It had good bark.  The next time I will remove at 185 or 190 and wrap in foil and put in the cooler.  Ju$t my two cent$ worth.

Phil
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,834
    Bowhunr, it is a trade off. You do get the bark,  but not like a low and slow 14+hr cook, but then, it is not a 14 hour cook.  
    I pulled some and thick slice the rest.  I have made carnitas with the thick slices.  Turned out very good.  
    Large, small and mini now in Rowlett Tx
  • Stick with traditional low and slow. It's a tried and true method and is a very forgiving cook. It was my first egg success. You'll be very pleased with the results. Promise.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL