Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New Kitchen Toy...

SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 1,942
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

We just got our Jatoba hardwood cutting board in from Custom Cutting boards this week. A beautiful 2" slab of wood, nice addition to our classroom kitchen at the shop.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,859
    I made this cutting board my self over 20 years ago.  I expected it to be disposable and figured I would make a new one about every six months.  Made out of red oak, and runs through the dish washer about twice a week.
    Cutting Board.jpg
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 764
    Looks too nice to cut on.  I like your timer as well, I saw one like it in a Restaurant Supply a few years back but they wanted around $40 for it and it seemed like a lot for timer at the time.

Gerhard
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,430
    Beautiful board, Smitty!  
    After cutting up only the first two cooks off my Egg, and seeing the juice flow off my old board and onto the counter and floor, I sprung for a "moated" board, although its not near as purty as yours.  Enjoy!  

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,907
    Very nice Smitty. Looks good and heavy.
    Dave
    San Jose, CA
    The Duke of Loney
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    dishwasher!? :-O
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

I go the way of have good knives, sharpen them about every 4 to 6 months and have a good hard cutting board.  I would rather have to sharpen my knives then have bacterial issues with cutting boards.
  • LitLit Posts: 2,544
    I believe that cooks illustrated did an article a couple years ago about the natural enzymes in wood killing bacteria and how wood cutting boards are actually safer than other materials. Most of my knives cost double what even a nice custom cutting board does so I stick with softer boards and will replace them if need be. I recently found this chunk of wood on sale at a William Sonoma outlet for $60 and really like it. Thats two 9 pound boneless shoulders on it so needless to say it's pretty big. Wish I had better pics of it. If you ever watch Chopped its the same board they use on the show.
    Board.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 381K
    Beer Board.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 325K