Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

New Kitchen Toy...

SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,091
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

We just got our Jatoba hardwood cutting board in from Custom Cutting boards this week. A beautiful 2" slab of wood, nice addition to our classroom kitchen at the shop.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,058
    I made this cutting board my self over 20 years ago.  I expected it to be disposable and figured I would make a new one about every six months.  Made out of red oak, and runs through the dish washer about twice a week.
    Cutting Board.jpg
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 786
    Looks too nice to cut on.  I like your timer as well, I saw one like it in a Restaurant Supply a few years back but they wanted around $40 for it and it seemed like a lot for timer at the time.

Gerhard
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,742
    Beautiful board, Smitty!  
    After cutting up only the first two cooks off my Egg, and seeing the juice flow off my old board and onto the counter and floor, I sprung for a "moated" board, although its not near as purty as yours.  Enjoy!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Very nice Smitty. Looks good and heavy.
    Dave
    San Jose, CA
    The Duke of Loney
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    dishwasher!? :-O
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

I go the way of have good knives, sharpen them about every 4 to 6 months and have a good hard cutting board.  I would rather have to sharpen my knives then have bacterial issues with cutting boards.
  • LitLit Posts: 3,135
    I believe that cooks illustrated did an article a couple years ago about the natural enzymes in wood killing bacteria and how wood cutting boards are actually safer than other materials. Most of my knives cost double what even a nice custom cutting board does so I stick with softer boards and will replace them if need be. I recently found this chunk of wood on sale at a William Sonoma outlet for $60 and really like it. Thats two 9 pound boneless shoulders on it so needless to say it's pretty big. Wish I had better pics of it. If you ever watch Chopped its the same board they use on the show.
    Board.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 381K
    Beer Board.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 325K