Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Kitchen Toy...

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

We just got our Jatoba hardwood cutting board in from Custom Cutting boards this week. A beautiful 2" slab of wood, nice addition to our classroom kitchen at the shop.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I made this cutting board my self over 20 years ago.  I expected it to be disposable and figured I would make a new one about every six months.  Made out of red oak, and runs through the dish washer about twice a week.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Looks too nice to cut on.  I like your timer as well, I saw one like it in a Restaurant Supply a few years back but they wanted around $40 for it and it seemed like a lot for timer at the time.

Gerhard
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Beautiful board, Smitty!  
    After cutting up only the first two cooks off my Egg, and seeing the juice flow off my old board and onto the counter and floor, I sprung for a "moated" board, although its not near as purty as yours.  Enjoy!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Very nice Smitty. Looks good and heavy.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    dishwasher!? :-O
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    Beautiful !  I have a dilemma about cutting boards.  If they're too soft, your knife makes cut marks in them.  If they're too hard, it dulls your knife.

I hope your board is too hard.  It's too pretty to have cut marks in it.

I go the way of have good knives, sharpen them about every 4 to 6 months and have a good hard cutting board.  I would rather have to sharpen my knives then have bacterial issues with cutting boards.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I believe that cooks illustrated did an article a couple years ago about the natural enzymes in wood killing bacteria and how wood cutting boards are actually safer than other materials. Most of my knives cost double what even a nice custom cutting board does so I stick with softer boards and will replace them if need be. I recently found this chunk of wood on sale at a William Sonoma outlet for $60 and really like it. Thats two 9 pound boneless shoulders on it so needless to say it's pretty big. Wish I had better pics of it. If you ever watch Chopped its the same board they use on the show.