Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking full turkey breast

Options
biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to smoke a full, boneless and skinless 10-12 lb turkey breast this weekend and I wouldn't mind a point in the right direction, since there doesn't seem to be much on smoking full breasts in the archives.

Main question is time and how to accommodate the brining and smoking time so that the breasts get full penetration. The plan as it stands is to brine overnight, dry and then proceed on a higher-temp cherry smoke the next night.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• biggreenmatt
    Options
    Tried both and for some reason, I'm not coming up with anything. Maybe it's because I'm on my mobile.

In any event, search issues aside, if you guys have suggestions or advice on how to smoke the 10.5 lb sucker sitting next to me, I'm all ears.
  • biggreenmatt
    Options
    Thanks, mate!

Any chance you have an approximate time per pound at that temp? Overnight brining sound about right?
  • BlackhawkAviator
    Options

I actually did this exact thing last weekend.

I set the egg at 325 dome.  My 8 lb turkey breast was done in about 3.5 hours.  I pulled it at 170 internal.  I did not have the time to brine, so I just injected it.  It was very moist.  Hope that helps.

• biggreenmatt
    Options
    Now I'm on a computer; much better!

Let me describe the sitch a little better.

Bought myself a 10.5 lb bone-in skinned double-breast.  Plan is to debone tonight, take the skin off, brine it overnight, dry and season tomorrow morning and then smoke it tomorrow night.

Going back to basic principles, I'm thinking about smoking it at a medium temp- 275ish, indirect.  To my mind, I don't need low-and-slow because it's tender enough as is.  On the other hand, I really want to get the smoke in there and I'm worried that if I go at 325-350, it'll bake rather than smoke and I won't get penetration into the interior of the meat.  Planning on using cherry wood, along with a bit of pecan.

At 275, I'm guessing that 4-5 hours should be more than enough time for it to smoke through, checking, from time to time, pulling at about 160-165, then an hour under a tent.  

Really looking forward to having smoked turkey breast that's cheaper and more delicious than what they sell at the local mart.  Thanks, guys!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

Hi !

I've cooked 2 now. Neither was brined. Cook at 350* as in the over . Last one was about 2 1/2 hrs indirect and 165* temp in breast. The most moist I've ever done smoking them on a gasser  smoker for the last 15 years.Rest it for 15 or 20 minutes.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    I spatchcocked a 6 lbs turkey breast a few weeks ago.  Came out great.  Cook direct at 400* on a raised grid to 165* internal.  It took a little over an hour.  I'll inject the bird next time with creole butter, like when I fry a turkey,    

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Now I'm on a computer; much better!

Let me describe the sitch a little better.

Bought myself a 10.5 lb bone-in skinned double-breast.  Plan is to debone tonight, take the skin off, brine it overnight, dry and season tomorrow morning and then smoke it tomorrow night.

Going back to basic principles, I'm thinking about smoking it at a medium temp- 275ish, indirect.  To my mind, I don't need low-and-slow because it's tender enough as is.  On the other hand, I really want to get the smoke in there and I'm worried that if I go at 325-350, it'll bake rather than smoke and I won't get penetration into the interior of the meat.  Planning on using cherry wood, along with a bit of pecan.

At 275, I'm guessing that 4-5 hours should be more than enough time for it to smoke through, checking, from time to time, pulling at about 160-165, then an hour under a tent.  

Really looking forward to having smoked turkey breast that's cheaper and more delicious than what they sell at the local mart.  Thanks, guys!
    4 1/2 hours sounds long to me. If you do a whole bird using the Mad Max method the cook time works out to 12 - 15 minutes a pound at 325*. A boneless breast will cook a lot faster than a whole bird and you are only going to cook to 160* or 165* so the cook time would probably be the same for 275 or close to. I would leave the skin on and remove it after the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I spatchcocked a 6 lbs turkey breast a few weeks ago. 
    What does that mean?

Gerhard
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke doesn't penetrate meat, fwiw.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Butterball makes a great injection and rub, Used it at Christmas. Found it at Bass Pro
    LET'S EAT
  • jimbrandt
    Options

Go out and buy Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. Turn to page 137 and follow the directions for the Smoked Turkey Breast with Honey-Maple Glaze. This recipe alone is worth the price of the book!

Here is a blog where someone reprinted the recipe: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/smoked-turkey-breast-roast-with-honey.html

The recipe is for a 4 lb breast. I always do an 8-12 lb so I just double or triple the ingredients. It really can't get any better than this!

• biggreenmatt
    Options
    Sounds yummy!  Let me know how it turns out, if you don't mind, so I can try out your method...
    Just pulled it off now.

For forty bucks, I've got more smoked turkey breast than I can shake a stick at. Plus, I made a game-day decision to go direct rather than indirect, I've got miles of burnt ends, too.

Good stuff! 275 is the way to go!
  • cigarnv
    cigarnv Posts: 10
    Options

If you want great turkey give a try to the Mad Max process... Max does about the best turkey I have had and I do just the breasts using the same method.... even great with a big oven stuffer. Just add wood to get the smoke flavor to where you want it...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm