Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving to a new house and not sure how to transport my Large Egg.

windnsea26
windnsea26 Posts: 159
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi
I am moving to a new house and need to transport my Large Egg.  Is it possible to transport it with the lid on and just remove the stuff inside?  I ordered this Pot lifter from Amazon that's supposed to help me and another person lift it without hurting ourselves.

San Diego, CA

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

Do you have a nest?

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Yes I do have a nest.  I guess I'll have to take it off of there.  I was thinking of putting this in the back of my wife's Honda Pilot and surround it with blankets and stuff to cushion it.
    San Diego, CA
  • Randy1

I moved mine last May. I just rolled it up in the moving truck and strapped it in very very well and it went fine. I did not remove lid or anything. If you dont have a moving the way you said should be fine. Just put enough stout boxes around it that it cannot move.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Randy1

(if you dont have a moving truck)

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • many folks have put their Eggs in the back of a car & "buckled it in" like a person. I'd take the "guts" out of it first & wrap those in blankets (so they don't "clang" together if you hit a pothole & possibly break.

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I took mine to ATL and back (4 hour drive) in bed of a truck. Take the guts out and put in cab. Put down a piece of carpet or thick cardboard and set egg on top. This will help slide it to back of the truck. Then, use one of the ratchet straps. This will get it good and tight. Open the dome and put a trash bag around it and shut it in case it rains. Works better without a tool box on the truck, but can be done either way. Good luck. It will be fine.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Thanks everyone!  I'm nervous.  Almost don't care about bringing anything over to the new house cept my egg:)
    San Diego, CA
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    I just moved as well and was concerned about moving mine. When I bought it I brought it home myself in the back of my van. It was a real pain. This time I took everything out of the inside, lock the hinge down with the shipping locks(Plastic things that came with it to keep the lid from bouncing) and had the movers move it. They put it on a dolly and hauled it onto their truck. I had no issues.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • C3H8Hater
    C3H8Hater Posts: 13
    I had a friend move and the only thing the moving company broke was his large egg. Not the antique furniture or china but the egg. He wasn't too upset as they paid for it and he got an XL.
  • windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    I ended up hiring a moving company.  They actually just wheeled it in the truck and padded that thing like crazy while strapping it to the wall.  I also removed everything inside it before they took it.
    San Diego, CA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    No problem in the back of a pickup strapped down with the guts out.  I've done it and I read about people doing it all the time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin