Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it heresy?

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
The past two nights I grilled dinner.  Did bacon-wrapped chicken last night and cheeseburger subs tonight.  Having said that, I used my Weber kettle out of convenience.  I felt a little dirty and ashamed.  Should I? Or do any of you do the same if your grilling smaller items?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Say ten Hail Eggs and post twice on one of the Costco threads and you will be forgiven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Egg only. If small I just reuse whatever lump is in egg. Or, cook extra and freeze.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    If you ate them and weren't kicking yourself for not using the Egg, then nothing's wrong.  I haven't sold my Weber yet, and actually prefer the "clean" heat on grilled peaches.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I kept my Weber.  It's my first love.  I use it for hot&fast and it works just fine and gets the job done quickly.  I even use (forgive me) briquettes in it.  The BGE is miles ahead of the Weber for lots of stuff.  Use what you have for what you got.  If you cook it outside it all counts!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    No heresy, like a lot of people, Weber is what got me interested in grilling and bbq. I still use both and am happy with both. They work a little differently from each other, but both make me happy.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Haven't had a Webber for years, but the skin on a roasted chicken from the Webber is much better than the egg IMO.  I am unable to duplicate it in the egg. 

George

George
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I took my weber to the office.  I cooked on my weber for the first time in months and it felt strange.  Food came out good and no complaints from coworkers. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Haven't had a Webber for years, but the skin on a roasted chicken from the Webber is much better than the egg IMO.  I am unable to duplicate it in the egg. 

George

Grill hotter. Go 400 direct, high in the dome. Use NO oil. Very good skin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• We respect your honesty. Your resignation to The Forum is accepted.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Sold mine within a week of buying my egg.  My first few EGG cooks were "grilling" food (chicken and brats, I believe) and saw no need to keep the old grill after cooking them on the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Say ten Hail Eggs and post twice on one of the Costco threads and you will be forgiven

Lol.....best post of the day! :))
  • use a mini for small cooks, xl for large and webern 300 for a drink platform...do have some chips stored inside and use the bottom for the plate setter and pizza stone...still have two tanks of gas!?!!

cant wait for Salado getting a medium there...house will be officially "egged" at that point..:)

you will forgive yourself when you realize the only thing you can do with the weber is ????well there has to be something!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

George

Grill hotter. Go 400 direct, high in the dome. Use NO oil. Very good skin.

I use an adjustable rig at the top height.  Usually around 400 +or- a few degrees.  I think I have tried oil and no oil, I can't seem to remember a difference.  The skin is OK but just not quite right.  What is the problem with the oil, you think that would help brown and crisp it up.

George

George