Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you find Humphrey Charcoal, buy it!!!

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tried Humphrey charcoal first to cook some steaks.  I started the coals and walked away to give em enough time to heat up.  I came back after a while and the thermometer turned all the way around and read 100 degrees!!!  I've never achieved that high temp before.  In fact, I thoroughly burped the thing and still singed about half the hair off my forearm.  As if the incredibly high temp wasn't enough to make a believer out of you, try low and slow with it.  I smoked a butt overnight at 225 for 19 hours and had an incredible amount of lump left.  I can't express enough how pleased I am with this stuff.  I used to love royal oak, but think I found my new favorite!

Comments

• banzaitoyota
    Options
    Where are you located?
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    dang man, thats the first time you havse hit 100?  I kid I kid.  yeah, where you located?

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • jerryp
    Options
    located in southern pa
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Options
    What store I live on SE PA
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Hey all Humphrey is good stuff, high heat little ash and lasts long. That's all I use.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    Options
    You can order directly from Humphrey in PA. You can get a 10, 20 or 40 lb bag or pallets of each size.

I'm ordering a 40 lb bag for $24.99 - S&H is $13 so that brings total to $37.99 - that's a great deal compared to BGE lump at my dealer at $25 / 20 lb bag plus tax around $27

I'll report back on how I like it -thanks for the heads up!

PS - here's Naked Whiz' review. It's one of the best he tested, and also one of the cheapest!

• tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    Options

Hey all Humphrey is good stuff, high heat little ash and lasts long. That's all I use.

Franco, 

Just saw you posted before me. Loving the Swing Rack I got from you a week ago!

I have done 4 cooks on it and as you said it's blackened right up! I spray oil it before each cook then a light brush at heat prior to cooking.

Cooking a brisket and butt in the next week or so and will report back...
  • CGW1
    Options
    Awesome news T, happy to hear your having a great experience with our rack.  If you haven't done so please join our forum also and become active there to.

Keep me mind for the Humphrey's charcoal next time, that's all I carry.

Post some pics using the rack.

Keep on grillin

Franco
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I live near Hershey. Where did you get it?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CGW1
    Options
    You can purchase the lump either directly from Humphrey in Brookville pa, order online or through a local dealer such as myself I'm in Pittsburgh, or if you have a local dealer in your area.

It's good stuff and you won't be disappointed.
  • jerryp
    Options
    . My wife and I had a little weekend getaway in Williamsport and I checked out the local Egg dealer.  They had it there and thought I'd try it.  I actually live in York and am trying to find it locally.  Freds Music and BBQ in Shillington carries it, but that's an hour and 15 minute drive.  I did see it online and will probably buy it direct and pay for shipping, assuming I can't find it locally. 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered a 40 lb bag for $37.99. Not bad. I can't wait!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Any place in the midwest stock it
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options

They charge a flat $13 to ship a 40 lb. bag. Makes the price $37.99 or $19 per 20 lb. bag if you want to look at it that way. I've never heard of this brand but I can't wait to give it a try. I've been buying Mali's lump from my local Egg store for about $16 after tax.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • CGW1
    Options
    It's a great product, everything you want from a lump charcoal.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    CGW1,

I read the Naked Whiz's write-up and in their test they didn't find a lot of large pieces. Is that your experience as well? Just curious.
  • CGW1
    Options
    I would go so far to say that, the whiz site is a great place to read reviews and so on, it's information can sometimes be dated.

I've found very consistent medium to large pieces, on occasion you will get a bag with medium to small, but more often than not its medium to large and no foreign objects.

Burns hot, lasts long, minimal ash and no sparking when lighting. I'm sure you'll find it to be a very good product.

Feel free to drop me a line on your thoughts when you receive it.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Will do. Thanks for the info. The Mali's I've been using is ok. I don't mind spending a couple of extra dollars if the product is worth it.

Being a new egger, keeping a constant temp is one of my challenges that I'm starting to get the hang of. A consistent charcoal will certainly help.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I will by some when I am in Cleveland in a month!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • CGW1
    Options
    Shawn,

I'll be in Cleveland for the fabulous food show. Let me know if I can be of help.