Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now my Costco has the MBGE for sale

Options

Comments

• canadianeh
    canadianeh Posts: 32
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This is probably the work of a distributor.  So of course, these Eggs would be just as they come from the factory.  I'd wonder how many Eggs do you think a large distributor could get his hands on?  At this time of year (just about to be BBQ season), maybe a large order from a large distributor might not seem out of line to BGE. I'm still not ready to think that BGE had a knowing part in this.
    That's a tough call.. My local Costco had 12. Tons of stores in Canada had anywhere from 10-14, according to reports.. So a percentage of 80ish stores in Canada all with large eggs... Almost 600 stores in the US, many reported to have medium eggs.

I see this as a chance to BGE to take the high road. Sue Costco if you have to, but don't punish the people who buy your products.

And at the very least, offer an extended warranty to buy. Have Costco or the dirty distributor foot the bill through legal action. Maybe it's $99 bucks or something. I dont know. But it's certainly not the customer's fault.

We're talking hundreds and hundreds of eggs. Recently assembled/packaged/shipped ones too. I just can't see hundreds going anywhere unnoticed, maybe thousands....
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

BGE warrantee cost should be built into the cost of the unit, no matter who sells it to the consumer. if the distributor would have sold it to a dealer instead of costco, the warrantee would be intact. what the is the difference?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I have confirmed Costco sightings of MBGEs in Orlando and Miami.

I just unpacked and repacked the MBGE I bought today, to verify it's in the appropriate number of pieces :)

The only "shipping damage" I could find was one of the feet has a chip through the glaze, roughly 0.25 cmsq.
  • stevesails
    Options

what if when you registered it, you put in a local dealer.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• canadianeh
    Options

what if when you registered it, you put in a local dealer.

Or gift... 

• stevesails
    Options

gift,,, yes to yourself.   perfect!

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    OK, So lets see hands on who would buy from Costco or who wouldnt and stay true to BGE
    Ok, I admit it, I'm kind of hoping BGE will show up in my region's Costco; but crossing my finger it's in a size Mini =)
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    Options
    And at the very least, offer an extended warranty to buy. Have Costco or the dirty distributor foot the bill through legal action. Maybe it's $99 bucks or something. I dont know. But it's certainly not the customer's fault.

We're talking hundreds and hundreds of eggs. Recently assembled/packaged/shipped ones too. I just can't see hundreds going anywhere unnoticed, maybe thousands....
    I can't see how BGE deserves another $99 for their part in this.  Even if they extended warranty for free on these eggs, they have lost nothing.  It's their loyal dealers that got the shaft.

How about BGE offer a $99 factory rebate to the customer plus full warranty for any egg purchased from Costco and BJ's in the next 7 days.  Then all these "illegitimate" eggs would be gone, and most would go to loyal owners on this forum.
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options

So I have a different thought . . . forgive me if I'm wrong on this . . . but if Costco can sell it for hundreds less than local dealers, why?  I mean, all things equal (or close to equal), I'd prefer to buy from the small local dealer.  But should I have to pay hundreds more for the privilege of supporting their business? 

I shopped around for my egg.  I got frustrated by the variety of different prices I received and how dealers in nearby cities were offering lower prices than I was getting, and how sale prices that were in effect a month earlier were no longer being offered. 

And here's another point, turns out I bought a different, competing product for my "second egg" in large part because of it.  Now I use both the egg and the other product, and I end up buying a lot of accessories, rubs, etc. for both of them, often from the local egg dealer. 

In summary:  (1) the local dealer could take some of those Costco sales back if they offered a similar price (2) if they won't offer a similar price, it is probably the case that many of those sales at costco never would have bought from the specialty store and (3) once those "extra" sales are made from Costco, people might get into egging and end up supporting the local dealer for accessories, rubs, etc.

• odie91
    Options

I can't see how BGE deserves another $99 for their part in this.  Even if they extended warranty for free on these eggs, they have lost nothing.  It's their loyal dealers that got the shaft.

I agree.  BGE made their profit, whether they sold it to an authorized dealer, or a shady distributor.
  • canadianeh
    canadianeh Posts: 32
    edited March 2012
    Options

I can't see how BGE deserves another $99 for their part in this. Even if they extended warranty for free on these eggs, they have lost nothing. It's their loyal dealers that got the shaft.

How about BGE offer a $99 factory rebate to the customer plus full warranty for any egg purchased from Costco and BJ's in the next 7 days. Then all these "illegitimate" eggs would be gone, and most

Keep in mind, many people coming to this forum are going to be loyal owners. They might be getting these from wives for Father's Day etc. Sure, tons of people are looking to save a few bucks, but there will be a lot of people who are caught off-guard by this.

What you're proposing is the right thing to do, if I'm reading that right.

$99 rebate to all the end-customers caught up in this mess and a full warranty. Deal with Costco and the distributors, but don't fault the consumer. Like I said, it's an opportunity to take the high road.

Everyone knows all the people buying them could have bought a cheaper alternative, but they dropped 7-8-9 hundred bucks on a BGE, and regardless of how/why, BGE got paid. Unless they were stolen, then the company profits. If BGE didn't get paid for this unit, then it 100% should not be covered under warranty.

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options

I opened my MBGE Costco Special today to verify that everything is intact and looks good.

EVERYTHING was as I would have expected, including all the Books / Manuals / Cookbook / DVD / Warranty Registration Card etc...It even had the BGE QC Checklist and signatures and dates etc...

No notice inside from Costco, in fact you could see that the box was only sealed once, and never opened again. 

I bought my LBGE from a local reseller, and the most help they gave me was:  "Here take a picture of ours, so that when you build yours it looks the same".

That being said, my LBGE and my MBGE are not hard to assemble properly, and support on my OWN.  The only thing I went back to that dealer for EVER, was accessories (Place Setter / Ash Tool etc..).  They never provided me any "value add" whatsoever.

Costco has me covered if I ever want to take it back (like I did with my Traeger before I bought my LBGE - but that's another story).  When my Traeger had issues, they immediately took back the USED, smokey, pellet filled, fully assembled Traeger, and gave me CASH back.  Which I promptly bought an LBGE with.

I'm sold on BGE's, and where I buy it just doesn't matter to me... so the chance to get a decent price on a spare Medium for flexability sold me.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    After the way my dealer has taken care of my issues -- hands down - loyal to the dealer.
    Cookin in Texas
  • cigarnv
    cigarnv Posts: 10
    Options

I have no horse in this race but I find it very hard to believe that you have hundreds if not thousands of BGE's for sale in numerous Costco's and BGE has no idea of how they got there??? Also, the Costco I know runs their suppliers through the ringer to insure they will back the product.... and to think they would bet on some grey market reseller to back the replacement of defective product is IMO a bit far fetched. Lets give Costco a bit of credit for being pretty smart folks as well as pretty tough but stand up business people.

I suspect that BGE is feeling pressure from a lot of fronts these days..including the Kamado, Jackson, Primo and the new Char Grill product... and may be looking to a source to move a lot of units. BGE can clear this issue up with a single press release....... I am curious as why we have not seen one yet unless there is not one to issue...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I am only loyal to Mickey. :x
    Is that you, Larry?  Larry Sinclair ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    cigarnv, BGE did post here on this forum an official statement.  See page three of this thread, where Eggzilla-Jr posted twice at length.  Either you believe what the company is saying or you don't.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone who buys from Costco gets screwed here.  If they buy it and then find out they have no warranty, they can take it back to Costco for a full refund if they like, and go buy from a dealer.  Or not.  But no one is going to get stuck with a non-working cooker and no recourse.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Stop being logical and stop not-panicking, whiz.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    Options
    cigarnv, BGE did post here on this forum an official statement.  See page three of this thread, where Eggzilla-Jr posted twice at length.  Either you believe what the company is saying or you don't.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone who buys from Costco gets screwed here.  If they buy it and then find out they have no warranty, they can take it back to Costco for a full refund if they like, and go buy from a dealer.  Or not.  But no one is going to get stuck with a non-working cooker and no recourse.
    Costco's lifetime warranty is often exaggerated.  It really is at the manager's discretion, and while they are quite accommodating, they do often refuse returns on older items.  You take an 8 year old egg back into them with a cracked base, and the manager will probably not offer a return.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I wonder what the manager will probably do when the owner tells him that BGE says it is a grey market item with no manufacturer's warranty.  I'll bet he'll give the refund to keep the customer happy.  But while we are wondering, I'm wondering if Costco is aware of this.  Maybe I'll write them on their web page and ask them to contact BGE to clarify.  Tee hee!
    The Naked Whiz
  • cigarnv
    cigarnv Posts: 10
    edited March 2012
    Options

I guess I just find it difficult to believe that any distributor would be able to supply this quantity of product nor would they risk their relationship with BGE selling huge numbers into the gray market. These are big quantities and IMO I find it very hard to believe that a situation like this can take place without the knowledge and possibly support of BGE.

Their, BGE, statement says they will not provide a warranty to the buyer of a Costco BGE but for all we know their deal with Costco provides credit to Costco for all returned / defective units. Are we to believe that Costco is selling an item that if found defective gives them no recourse back to the mfg and they would just eat the cost? This is not the Costco I have dealt with.

I think it is far more likely, and this is pure speculation on my part, that BGE has a supply deal with Costco that is for a product that does not carry the BGE warranty to the end buyer but does credit Costco for defective units. The buyer gets a great price with the Costco return policy and Costco is covered for defective units. Is it as good a warranty as BGE.. no.... but most Costco shoppers won't care. This allows BGE to move lots of product while not violating the words of their "authorized retailer" statement.... now the spirit could be another matter.

Call it what you want but there is no way you can move this many units under the dark of night and call it a rogue gray market seller.....JMO, nothing else

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have only been a egg owner for a month and was actually on the market for a 2nd egg to do combo cooking.  I think it was easy for me to pass up on the Costco egg because I want a small to go with my large.  I'm a huge Costco fan, but this is a long term investment for me.

If my egg broke and needed service, returning it for a refund would not be ideal to me.  The Costco egg would have a cheaper upfront cost, but it would cost me more for the egg when all is said and done because I would not want to return it.

I think the main problem with this scenario is consumers likely believe their new Costco egg is covered by BGE and Costco.  Thats the impression I would have unless I was advised differently at purchase.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2012
    Options

This is what Bubba Tim at Green Eggers dot Com had to say.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1217983&catid=1

Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • odie91
    Options
    Well it seems the consensus is either:

1) BGE knowingly supplied the Eggs to Costco and are bluffing about not knowing

2) The people at BGE are gullible morons who really were tricked into what should have been an obvious scam, in which case I should promptly email them about wiring money into my Nigerian bank account.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You're not saying that Nigerian thing is a scam are you? Damn!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Yes, it is a scam, Steve.  They bilked me out of $200,000.  They were operating out of Canada.  Fortunately, the Canadian government caught them, and are keeping the money in escrow.  They won't give it back to me, and will only deposit it into a Canadian bank account.  If you give me your account number and bank routing number, I will have them deposit the money in your account
    , and let you keep $150,000.

Awaiting your reply with your bank number .........

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Vi, don't tempt me or I'll post the four Nigerian scam letters I sent to a guy in London trying to scam a friend of mine into wiring him money using the "Help I'm stuck in London and had my passport and wallet stolen scam."
    :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    cigarnv,

Ok, you find it difficult to believe.  It's still total speculation and is contradictory to what BGE has stated.  I don't know at this point why we should think BGE is lying.  If they did lie, when they were finally exposed, they would probably lose 1/2 their dealers.  FWIW, here is the text of Bubba Tim's post.

"A new dealer/distributor was brought on by the Mothership. The
    Mothership went through all the normal vetting processes to include
    credit checks and such. A very large order was made and several semi
    trailers were sent to this "new" dealer/distributor full of Big Green
    Eggs. When the Mothership caught wind of what had happened, (via this
    forum) it was to late. Appartently, deals had been made without the
    Mothership knowlege and a few Box stores had been sold the Eggs. When
    the Mothership tired to call the "new" dealer/distributor, all the
    phones had been disconnected and the they had vanished. It seems the
    Mothership has been misled and lied to. A letter will be going out to
    all the dealers and distributors shortly, and an Offical post will be
    coming forthwith. So please lets give the Mothership a break and stop
    all this "conspiracy theory" nonsense and lets get back to cooking.
    Agreed?"

I don't know how he knows this, but BGE has certainly explained why they aren't giving out the details: they are contemplating legal action against whoever did this.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Options
    wow, there's some ppl all over the forums that are very suspicious - methinks they might also believe the Twin Towers were brought down from explosives wired on the inside, or that the moon landing was faked!!  =;

So apparently some haven't heard of things like the Lufthansa heist?  Or the fact that most stores (especially the huge corporate ones) actually put "theft of products" into their budget calculations, because they realize that there's going to be a certain amount that they just build it into their financials?  Or have any of you ever bought a "BNIB" (Brand New In Box) item such as a miter/chop saw from Craigslist for a fraction of the retail price?  Do you believe the guy when he says that it was a "gift" and that he already had one so he's willing to let this one go for so cheap? 

The point is, theft happens, either outright "lifting" of the stuff by the person, or through fraudulent means (ie, placing an order & then not holding up their end of the contract by selling to unauthorized stores, and/or not paying for said order, etc).  Why is it so hard to believe that someone devised a plan to make a quick buck by defrauding a company like BGE? 

Actually, I was (unfortunately) the victim of a fraud a few yrs ago - I'd gotten a letter from the "CA Sec. of State" telling me it was time to renew my business filing fees - At the time, I was VERY busy (working full time, running side business, AND going back to school) - so I didn't really look at it / read it in enough detail to ascertain whether or not it was real - besides, why would I have suspicions that it wasn't?  I mean, the letter "looked" legit, even had official looking logos, seals, etc.  Anyway, it said I owed $250, which, at the time, I thought was a lot, but hey, it's the People's Republik of Kalifornia, and being that they force you to pay $800 a year just for the sole "privilege" of owning an LLC in their state (regardless of whether or not it's making any profit or income yet), then I figured it was just MORE of their insane, business-UNfriendly taxes.  So, I sent off a check...

Long story short, fast forward several months later & I find out that the State Attorney General has had so many complaints about this "company" sending out these letters, that they've launched an investigation. Turns out someone had set up a P.O. Box in Sacramento, and was happily collecting (AND cashing) all the checks made out to their fictitious business name "Business Filings Division" (or something to that effect).  And then when the heat got turned up on them, they up & left town...

So yeah, I guess rather than come up w/ wild conspiracy theories & have this "love/hate" relationship w/ the "evil" faceless corporate entities at BGE, why not just take them @ their word & WAIT for the wheels of justice to SLOWLY move forward so that, when the lawyers say so, BGE can put out an official statement? 

In the meantime - Now, let's COOK!!!! 
    :))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    HH, it was the Mars landing that was faked.  I saw the movie!  :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cobra99
    Cobra99 Posts: 12
    edited March 2012
    Options
    cigarnv,

Ok, you find it difficult to believe.  It's still total speculation and is contradictory to what BGE has stated.  I don't know at this point why we should think BGE is lying.  If they did lie, when they were finally exposed, they would probably lose 1/2 their dealers.  FWIW, here is the text of Bubba Tim's post.

"A new dealer/distributor was brought on by the Mothership. The Mothership went through all the normal vetting processes to include credit checks and such. A very large order was made and several semi trailers were sent to this "new" dealer/distributor full of Big Green Eggs. When the Mothership caught wind of what had happened, (via this forum) it was to late. Appartently, deals had been made without the Mothership knowlege and a few Box stores had been sold the Eggs. When the Mothership tired to call the "new" dealer/distributor, all the phones had been disconnected and the they had vanished. It seems the Mothership has been misled and lied to. A letter will be going out to all the dealers and distributors shortly, and an Offical post will be coming forthwith. So please lets give the Mothership a break and stop all this "conspiracy theory" nonsense and lets get back to cooking. Agreed?"

I don't know how he knows this, but BGE has certainly explained why they aren't giving out the details: they are contemplating legal action against whoever did this.

If this is true why does it matter?  Their network failed and BGE are punishing their customers because of it? Yes this is my first post and yes I bought one from Costco (LBGE). One of the first things I did was drive down to an authorized dealer and buy a plate setter and some eggessories. This leaves a bad taste and is not a good way to treat a new customer. BGE got paid for the warranty so it should be valid.  This is a problem with their network so to save face they should stand behind their product.  Yes I know I have the Costco warranty but this does have an effect on what I buy in the future. I love this thing and would consider buying another one, but I have my doubts with BGE if this is this is the way they treat new customers.

I am truly a newbie and haven’t done any smoking till now (trying to absorb everything).  I have spent upwards of $300 on accessories that I wouldn't of if I didn't get this thing and will do more in the future. Does BGE want to lose all new interest and word of mouth over a warranty that they have been paid for?  Just seems slimy and doesn't give me the warm feeling to spend more with this company.

I am glad to a EggHead but don't feel part of the family.  Hopefully this will be righted.