Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Locking Legs at front of nest?

Options
canadianeh
canadianeh Posts: 32
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I found the BGE instructions to be pretty terrible...

There were some great videos from a dealer and an outdoors guy putting one together on YouTube.

They never mentioned the next legs needing to be at the front, just mentioned that the vent needs to go in between two legs.

I then found the BGE set-up videos after which said the two locking legs should be at the front. Mine are at the side.... Does it matter?

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Locking casters are a somewhat recent additional to the nest.  90% of eggs out there don't have them.  Having them in front reduces the possibility of tipping a little I suppose.  Do you have a nest handler?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    The only thing I found is having the nest located so the one side that does not have a bar across the front make dumping ashes into a bucket easier.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• canadianeh
    Options
    Don't have the handler. I will prob just leave it the way it is.
  • Cowdogs
    Options
    If you don't have a handler, and the egg is a Large (or smaller) it is not very hard to spin it 45 degrees. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The handler is well worth the money if moving the egg much at all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• canadianeh
    Options
    If you don't have a handler, and the egg is a Large (or smaller) it is not very hard to spin it 45 degrees. 
    Really: It seems like it has to be first lifted out of the nest (which was quite snug to begin with), then rotated, then dropped back in the nest... 

Not sure it can be rotated without damaged the firebox at the bottom.
  • Cowdogs
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Really: It seems like it has to be first lifted out of the nest (which was quite snug to begin with), then rotated, then dropped back in the nest... 

Not sure it can be rotated without damaged the firebox at the bottom.
    It does have to be lifted up a bit so you don't damage the vent.  Just remove all the guts from the egg, and what's left is an empty shell that is much lighter.  I not saying it's light, but I have done it many times.  2 guys lifting works even better. 

Don't lift it by the bands (or hinge).  The bands can slip off the egg, and your base will drop away from the lid.  Grab it by the base.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

We put the crossbar in the back and the locking casters in front. 

But you certainly can have it any way you want, especially if you already done it another way.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA