Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or Lg?

rontho
rontho Posts: 109
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I only cook for 5 6 ppl at a time. Sometimes up to 15. The bad part it's on a Weber. I get my egg on Friday. WOOO F&^KING HOO. I ordered an XL but do you think a large would accomodate enough for 15? Love reading and learning on this forum hope to someday contribute. Ron

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I have cooked for 30 with my large, but it's all relative to what you're cooking.  I cooked two 10lb butts.  I really like my large.  I'll also really like my XL when I get my 2nd egg this summer.  Then I'll sell my Traeger.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Love my XL even for 2
    LET'S EAT
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i have an xl,  i love the space for indirect using a half moon, then going direct. perfect for steaks.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I say the th XL. I have a 22.5 weber kettle and have a large egg. Especially if your going from a 22.5 kettle. Nothing bad about cooking on weber. I still use mine a lot.
  • Have a medium, and adding an XL as soon as the wife gives me the go ahead.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Had Large, Small and Mini. Sold the Small and had the very same problem you are. Thought XL or another Large. XL had the lead and decided I wanted a clean baking Egg so ordered a Large. Two Sundays I was cooking on the Mini and enjoying the hell out of it. So I called and killed the Large and now have 2Minis and a Large. Short answer get one as you will get another and another. No wrong answer here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• have an xl and mini, am adding a medium to fill out the nest..you can take any egg and do pretty much what you want with it...go with whatever sounds good and dont look back..

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• rontho
    Had Large, Small and Mini. Sold the Small and had the very same problem you are. Thought XL or another Large. XL had the lead and decided I wanted a clean baking Egg so ordered a Large. Two Sundays I was cooking on the Mini and enjoying the hell out of it. So I called and killed the Large and now have 2Minis and a Large. Short answer get one as you will get another and another. No wrong answer here.

sounds like we're in the same boat. I am an avid bbqr. now after reading the forums and my brother be\ing an 11 yr vet, I will be owning a few. baby steps. thanks

• rontho
    have an xl and mini, am adding a medium to fill out the nest..you can take any egg and do pretty much what you want with it...go with whatever sounds good and dont look back..

I can't wait to start posting pictures of my flubs (learning curve) and succeses
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The XL ... also known as the "no regrets" model. 

And your next egg will seem cheap after buying the XL.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Both.  It will look like this, and it will be easier to do the big veggie wok on the XL while the meat cooks on the L.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I have an XL and love it the space comes in handy!!! 
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I cook with large BGE but if I had to do over would probably go for XL.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    XL here. It only costs a nickel more to go first class. Ok, maybe a few nickels. Like others have said, it is a no regrets egg. Many will say buy 2, but I didn't have the money or space for 2.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • rontho
    Ok the decision is made. I havent physically seen a BGE since last spring. I went to a dealer today to compare one more time and I'm going with the XL. Friday can't get here soon enough. Thanks for all the input.
  • You Go Boy!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    God I'm jealous! I have a medium. I agree with flamethrower. YOU GO BOY!!!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!