Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL or Lg?

ronthorontho Posts: 109
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I only cook for 5 6 ppl at a time. Sometimes up to 15. The bad part it's on a Weber. I get my egg on Friday. WOOO F&^KING HOO. I ordered an XL but do you think a large would accomodate enough for 15? Love reading and learning on this forum hope to someday contribute. Ron
·

Comments

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 455
    I have cooked for 30 with my large, but it's all relative to what you're cooking.  I cooked two 10lb butts.  I really like my large.  I'll also really like my XL when I get my 2nd egg this summer.  Then I'll sell my Traeger.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • Love my XL even for 2
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 962
    i have an xl,  i love the space for indirect using a half moon, then going direct. perfect for steaks.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 247
    I say the th XL. I have a 22.5 weber kettle and have a large egg. Especially if your going from a 22.5 kettle. Nothing bad about cooking on weber. I still use mine a lot.
    ·
  • Have a medium, and adding an XL as soon as the wife gives me the go ahead.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,142
    Had Large, Small and Mini. Sold the Small and had the very same problem you are. Thought XL or another Large. XL had the lead and decided I wanted a clean baking Egg so ordered a Large. Two Sundays I was cooking on the Mini and enjoying the hell out of it. So I called and killed the Large and now have 2Minis and a Large. Short answer get one as you will get another and another. No wrong answer here.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • have an xl and mini, am adding a medium to fill out the nest..you can take any egg and do pretty much what you want with it...go with whatever sounds good and dont look back..

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

·
  • ronthorontho Posts: 109
    Had Large, Small and Mini. Sold the Small and had the very same problem you are. Thought XL or another Large. XL had the lead and decided I wanted a clean baking Egg so ordered a Large. Two Sundays I was cooking on the Mini and enjoying the hell out of it. So I called and killed the Large and now have 2Minis and a Large. Short answer get one as you will get another and another. No wrong answer here.

sounds like we're in the same boat. I am an avid bbqr. now after reading the forums and my brother be\ing an 11 yr vet, I will be owning a few. baby steps. thanks

·
    have an xl and mini, am adding a medium to fill out the nest..you can take any egg and do pretty much what you want with it...go with whatever sounds good and dont look back..

I can't wait to start posting pictures of my flubs (learning curve) and succeses
    ·
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 484
    The XL ... also known as the "no regrets" model. 

And your next egg will seem cheap after buying the XL.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,241
    Both.  It will look like this, and it will be easier to do the big veggie wok on the XL while the meat cooks on the L.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • mimaulermimauler Posts: 119
    I have an XL and love it the space comes in handy!!! 
    ·
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I cook with large BGE but if I had to do over would probably go for XL.
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,018
    XL here. It only costs a nickel more to go first class. Ok, maybe a few nickels. Like others have said, it is a no regrets egg. Many will say buy 2, but I didn't have the money or space for 2.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
    Ok the decision is made. I havent physically seen a BGE since last spring. I went to a dealer today to compare one more time and I'm going with the XL. Friday can't get here soon enough. Thanks for all the input.
    ·
  • You Go Boy!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • NightwingXPNightwingXP Posts: 436
    God I'm jealous! I have a medium. I agree with flamethrower. YOU GO BOY!!!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
    ·