Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Baking methods

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a lge egg this week. I am mainly interested in using it for a bread oven- I have searched the forum for tips, with no luck. Anyone out there had luck with replicating an authentic european style loaf on the egg?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Tom H,[p]The large Egg will do a wonderful job with about any type of bread including about any European breads. It is very easy to use for your baking and produces bread with just a light hint of smoke flavor just like an old fashioned wood oven.[p]I am sure that you would be happy with the cooker if all you did was bake on it but it will do so much more than just your baking and do most very well.[p]I have some pictures and will include them and would be more than happy to help you with any baking on the cooker thru e-mail. [p]MVC-024E.jpg
    Challah bread[p]kolach6Mvc-002e.jpg
    Kolach bread[p]23MVC-015E.jpg
    Sourdough hearth bread on the small Egg[p]16MVC-016E.jpg
    Focaccia bread[p]29MVC-012E.jpg
    Damper bread[p]13MVC-006E.jpg
    Naan bread[p]13MVC-001S.jpg
    And of course Pizza[p]You can send me a note by clicking on my name and I can probably help you with what you need with the cooker.[p]Dave[p]

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Tom H,
    Good Old Dave is right, the egg is a bread oven, just like a brick oven. As I type these words I'm sipping coffee and eating a country white slathered in butter- a bread baked in the egg. That is one of the primary reasons why I bought the egg as I like to bake traditional breads.[p]Ok, now that you know that your in the right place (BGE) we can get you going with that purchase. Think of the money your saving by buying the egg and not a monster brick oven.[p]I bake bread between 400 and 500 degrees, depending on the type of bread, using indirect heat radiating from all sides (just like a brick oven). I can bake two small loaves or one large at a time, that being the only draw back compared to brick ovens that can bake alot at one time.(what am I gonna do with two dozen loaves anyway) I bake 4 to 6 loaves in a day and I'm good for the week by freezing half.[p]When I fire up the egg for baking I use fresh lump charcoal and I let the egg heat for at least and hour once it settles in at 450 degrees to insure a good clean heat. Then I'm ready to bake. I got to tell you that there is nothing that compares to the aroma of fresh baked bread. The art of bread making is alive and strong with BGE.
    Clay [p][p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Tom H,
    I don't know about replicating European loaves, but I like the sourdough boules I make in my large.[p]Ken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Nice lineup from a baking pro. An inspiration.[p]That naan bread was amazing. I am overdue for another batch. I have an idea for dinner![p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Old Dave,
    That bread looks fantastic!![p]I would sure like to have such recipes for the bread that are easy for you to send email. [p]I know that can be a lot of trouble though, and I want to say please don't go to a lot of trouble to do it.[p]Keep cookin -[p]Kyle

• Unknown
    Options
    Old Dave, Thank you for taking the time to send the pictures, they always help. When you say indirect, do you mean having the pizza stone raised with fire brick? Is there a certain kind of fire brick to look for? Have you experimented with additional steam? I have been a bread baker for many years, and even in the home oven, I generally include a pan with 1c. of hot water to make additional steam. Do you have any trouble getting a deep chestnut brown crust when you want it? Any tips will be appreciated! Can't wait to try it. thanks again,
    Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    Tom H,[p]I didn't say indirect but yes, you will get a much better product with indirect baking. [p]The perfect baking setup for the large Egg is the plate setter and the 14" BGE hearth stone. With this setup, you can bake all afternoon and every loaf will come out the same. You can also use any recipe out of any book and this setup will get your bread right the very first time. It is just fool proof. [p]I have used some water several ways to produce some steam in the cooker and will tell you what I think is the best method as a fellow needs to be careful with water in the cooker around the hearth stone and the plate setter as it sure isn't your home metal oven. I sure wouldn't want to knock over some water on a 450 degree hearth stone. I will include this information in my e-mail note. [p]It is so nice to get another experienced bread baker on the forum but you will need to post pictures. [p]You won't have any problems getting the crust you want with the right setup and temp. Just might be the best bread you have ever done in your life. [p]I will answer your e-mail as soon as I have the time. [p]Dave

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Tom H,[p]First of all sorry for the late post. As the others have posted, the BGE serves as a brick oven quite well.[p]You posed the question "do you have any trouble getting a deep chestnut brown crust when you want it?" in your second post to Old Dave ... Given that your bread formulas deliver the deep chestnut brown crust in your home oven, you will be challenged to get the deep chestnut brown crust on the BGE but you'll get it eventually. It takes a sound understanding of the "oven environment."[p]Many factors have come in play for me in order to get the deep chestnut brown crust:
    - Hearth setup: In the large Egg I use a platesetter and place 2 16" kiln shelves on top of the platesetter
    - Steam: Use approximately 1 cup of hot water in a cast iron bread pan, which fits underneath the platesetter
    - Fire: Like the others I'll get the fire going 1 to 2 hours prior to the bake
    - Temp: Depends on the formula and the shape of the loaf. I have a bias toward high dome temps (550F to 600F). This necessitates wiping the kiln shelf with water prior to the bake (most of the time). I like a hot stone so I can induce the oven spring.
    - Distance of the dough from the inside of the dome: You'll need to experiment here. I've found that I get better carmelization when the top of the loaf is "close to the dome. [p]I'm glad to help you transition your baking prowess to the Egg.[p]BTW - just baked 2-1lb. loaves and one-1 1/2lb. boule of a 10 grain + flax seed + charnushka seed sourdough. One loaf and the boule have been sent to the freezer. The other loaf will be on the table tonight with a chicken dish and brown rice.[p]Good luck with your decision, and hopefully you'll join the bakers who use an Egg.[p]Puj

• Unknown
    Options
    Kyle,[p]Thanks much for the kind words on my bread pictures. [p]It is kinda difficult to send a bread recipe to anyone without knowing of their experience, the equipment that they use for the dough, and their cooker and setup. Just way to many varibles for me to send something that would work for you without some additional information. There are many wonderful recipes on the web and also many great bread books out there that will explain in detail just how to do about any bread. I just Googled Focaccia bread and found 53,900 hits. Bread baking is really very simple with as little as a bread machine with a dough only cycle, maybe a heavy duty mixer like a Kitchen-Aid, or most any recipe can usually be done by hand as well. [p]I have an article on the web showing some very basic bread making tips and tricks with some recipes that I think are very good for folks just getting into bread baking. It is not on the Egg but on another popular cooker but about everything will apply to the Egg. [p]Hope this helps,[p]Dave