Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stir fry

Comments

• Chubbs.  I don't know if the alcohol makes a better fire.  I just like to use it because it's convenient.  I light the Egg, then go inside and prepare the ingredients.  It's a roaring fire when I'm ready for it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Thanks VI. I am sorry to hit you with so many questions. I just respect your style and ability. You have been very helpful and I hope to post a winner later tonight. Thanks again.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    great video VI, always nice to see products in action.  thanks for taking the time to make it.  wife says, do you do take out, t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubbs

Just finished my first attempt at stir fry on the egg with my new wok and spider. Other than the sparks from the Cowboy lump blowing in my face while cooking it was a huge success. I followed Village Idiots recipe for Kung Pao Shrimp. I could not find black vinegar in Columbia, so I used a splash of balsamic (probably not even close to the correct flavor but worked!). The dish was unbelievable. My wifes job was to cook rice, and she forgot to go to the store so all we had was basmati rice in the house, but I am not picky. Pics below. A huge success. VI, I included a pic of my wok on my LBGE--- I swear my wok looks bigger but knows...

• You've got the gift, Chubbs.  Congratulations!

Many fine meals will follow.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Yep that is an 18 inch wok. Just kidding, nice job chubbs.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs

Stir fry is near the top of my favorite ways to use the egg. Really fun to do but you have to act fast. A nice change of speed from the low n slows...

• This thread belongs in the hall of fame. I wonder exactly how many of us will buy a wok due to this discussion. 
    Mark me down as one.. 
    I will be Travis. I wanted one already but this post has made it an obsession to get one!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • VI I cannot understate your brilliance with this post. Thanks for the vid and the great feedback. I've learned alot and will be woking soon!
  • Thanks, Nightwing.  If I have been a part of turning on a few people to stir frying, I am super happy.  It's always fun to share something that you really like with others.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• You have absolutely inspired a lot of us here. I just got off of The Wok Shops website and ordered me a 14" POW hand hammered CS wok with a spatula. I also ordered a wok ring. Don't have the $ for a wok ring from CGS yet so I am going to use the BGE grate on the fire ring with the ring from TWS. It was only $2.95 so hard to pass up. I think eventually I will talk to Tom and see if he could custom me up a spider for my medium so I could flip it like others on this post have. Can't get enough of this thing. Also ordered a high que stainless fire grate this morning off of amazon. My allowance doesn't arrive till I get paid tomorrow and I have already spent it for 2 weeks. Thanks again VI!
    :D
  • skotdee
    skotdee Posts: 17
    Hey VI, what size spatula do you use? I just ordered a 16" wok for my large egg and need to grab a nice long spatula. Should I pick one up from the wok shop or do you have another recommendation?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Bought mine from the Wok Shop. Actually, I bought three from them.  It's long and I like it a lot.

Only thing, the wood handle tends to come off the metal spatula, so I glued it with JB Weld, and it's worked fine ever since.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• skotdee
    skotdee Posts: 17
    Thanks! Which length do you recommend? They say 17" for a 16" wok but that probably doesn't account for the egg setup with the extra heat around the edge
  • Village Idiot
    The longer, the better.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    VI,

I watched your video  and looking at your above comment for a metal $patula.  Doe$ the metal chip the "$ea$onong" off the wok?  Ju$t wondering!

Bama
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Bought mine from the Wok Shop. Actually, I bought three from them.  It's long and I like it a lot.

Only thing, the wood handle tends to come off the metal spatula, so I glued it with JB Weld, and it's worked fine ever since.
    Hey --- The little lady at my Asian store told me when I bought my spatula and spoon to jam them in the handle hard and then soak them in water and they'll never fall out. Authentic advice. Take it for what it's worth lol
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

HEY, that sounds like it would work! Mine hasnt come out yet but it will. I will soak it.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    I hadn't thought of jamming/soaking.  Might work.  I do horribly abuse mine because I put them in the dishwasher.  Not good for the wood handle.  But, again JB Weld fixed the problem, permanently so far.

@bamafan.  The metal on the spatula doesn't seem to hurt the seasoning at all. Normally, you are sliding the spatula, not poking with it, so there's not much danger of hurting the seasoning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I turned mine upside down in a glass of water when MM mentioned soaking it....we will see.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    This forum is costing me money. Now I need to get a spider and a wok!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Village Idiot
    This forum is costing me money. Now I need to get a spider and a wok!
    Think about all the money you will save by never going to a Chinese restaurant again.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs
    Yeah, the first time I used my wok spatula from Wok Shop the metal and wood came apart. I beat it in there and has been fine ever since. But that is with only two cooks since. I may soak mine. If not, I heard duct tape fixes everything.... =))  Only kidding....
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I am still waiting on my Wok. They did not have the carbon steel wok with the wood handle in stock so I cancelled that one and ordered a 14" pow carbon steel with a hollow metal handle. God I can't wait to do stir fry!!!!

:-w
  • Village Idiot
    I am still waiting on my Wok. They did not have the carbon steel wok with the wood handle in stock so I cancelled that one and ordered a 14" pow carbon steel with a hollow metal handle. God I can't wait to do stir fry!!!!

:-w
    It's just as well, Nightwing.  On my third cook with the wooden handle wok, my fire got too hot, and I burned the helper handle.  I am now using it Eastern style (without the use of the helper handle).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Vi, Do you think there's much difference in cooking with a flat bottom wok or a round bottom wok?
  • Village Idiot
    Janssen,

I've never cooked with a flat bottom, but I wouldn't think it is much different.  It seems the ladle would slide better on a curved bottom.  If you're concerned about stability, you can always use a ring to set it on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    Yeah I think I'll go with the round bottom and buy the ring too. Its only 3 bucks. Can't wait to retire the electric wok and make some REAL stirfry!
  • Snowren24
    Snowren24 Posts: 7
    edited March 2012
    I just got a 24'' round bottom wok, ring, and bamboo brush for my birthday! Im a little worried the wok will be too big though :(
    I have a large BGE, but I'll find a way to make it work.It shouldn't have to sit down in the egg right?
     anyone have a suggestion?

Also, did you post a recipe for the Japanese sukiyaki VI? It looks really good.

edit, I'm an idiot, she said it was only $24 not 24'' lol. its a 16'' wok.

so anyway..about that recipe :P
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Sukiyaki
    I got the recipe off the internet somewhere, but I don't remember where.  Otherwise, I'd post the URL.
    I do think I remember tweaking the recipe somewhat.

¾ pound Rib-eye steaks, Sliced paper thin
    ½ large Carrot
    3.5 ounces Harusame noodles
    1.5 small Onions, white
    ½ can Shiitaki mushrooms
    1 cup Mung bean sprouts
    4 Onions, green
     Cabbage Napa, Chinese cabbage
    ½ can Bamboo shoots
    • -----Sauce --------

• ¼ cup Mirin wine
    •  cup Soy Sauce
    • ¼ cup Sake
    • 2 tablespoons Sugar
    • ¼ cup Beef stock
    • Vegetable oil

1.Cut onions into 6 wedges, and separate. Cut green onions on bias. Use about 1/2 of onion, starting at white end Cut carrot into slivers and on bias - matchstick size Make some slices of Chinese cabbage
    2.Parboil noodles 2-5 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook because they will melt. Cut into 2" lengths.
    3.Preheat Egg to about 450° with Spider.
    4.Combine all sauce ingredients and stir until sugar dissolved.
    5.Put wok on Spider and put small amount of oil in it. Get oil hot
    6.Put in all veggies except noodles and bean sprouts, and cook until tender. Add some sauce while cooking. Put in noodles and bean sprouts and cook about 1 minute Add some sauce while cooking. Put in meat and cook until tender. Add some sauce while cooking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.