Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid Question

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Everyone keeps talking about raised grid where do I get one from?
Large BGE

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    edited March 2012
    Options
    It is more of how do you get the grid raised than where to get one. Several options including fire bricks, bge grid extender, and the ceramic grill store has many options. Basically any way to get your grate around the gasket level or a little above. I have the bge grid extender which attaches to the normal grate. You can also use the fire bricks on top of the fire ring, then place your grate on those. Check out this site for info on this and many other questions. Check out info central when you get there.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks so much Gato!
    Large BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    For the spatchcock you will want it raised above felt.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I've spatchcocked at regular level and around the felt line both with good results. I'm guessing higher might give crisper skin???
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Pants
    Pants Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm with Eddie.  What benefit is there from raising the grid?  I just got mine and have only done a Boston Butt, but am looking forward to cooking pizza.  Most of the comments seem to call for a plate setter and raised grid.  I've got the plate setter, but why the raised grid?  Would I not just put the grid on normally, then the pizza stone on top of that?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    For some things like pizza and spatchcock chicken, you want them raised so you can take more advantage of both the radiant and convective heat of the dome. Basically the heat off the dome helps cook thinks like pizza topping and make chicken skin nice and crispy without having to flip.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Because lump can cook mostly by radiant heat, food down low is being exposed to really intense heat. But because the Egg has the space to move the cooking plane far enough away, the raised position puts the food, when cooked direct, in a situation much more like and oven broiler. Meats can get good crisp outside, instead of charred while the inside is well cooked.

Also, its a lot easier to manipulate food at the felt level than below. I can't imagine working a peel under a pizza at the low level.
  • Pants
    Options
    The collective knowledge in this place is unreal.

• Flamethrower
    Options
    Heres my XL with a 22 1/2 in.Weber grill
    LET'S EAT
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    The collective knowledge in this place is unreal.

I agree Pants. My learning curve was cut in half by the numerous fantastic people here! I got a Woo2 from Ceramic Grill Store. Tom, that makes the stuff and runs the site, is also a member here. Nice guy and awesome products!! Here's a pic of my medium with the bge grate raised to the felt line with Tom's ingenious Woo. ( Never thought I would compliment a guys Woo!! )
    ;))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Pants
    Options
    How would that Woo work with a plate setter?  Big enough to go around, I guess?
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I used pavers year from Home Depot - worked well for me.
    Cookin in Texas
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    As far as I know with the Woo you would not need the platesetter. It is another setup that gives you options instead of a platesetter. Check out ceramicgrillstore.com. There numerous setups that are designed to give you different options in place of what BGE originally made. I like the aftermarket ideas better as they are designed to give you more options.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    My XL set up for tonight's veggie grill.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Options
    Came across this post the other day when preparing to do my first spatchcock chicken. Lots of great advice as usual. 

As I was setting up my medium egg, wondering how I was going to raise the grate, I spotted my old broken fire ring. I put it on top of the regular fire ring and you know what, it was the perfect height to lift the grid up to the felt. The result was really stable too.

So I'm just saying if you have a spare fire ring, broken or otherwise, don't throw it out!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'd go with three bricks or a PSWoo2 from Ceramic Grill Store. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Pants said:
    The Woo works with or without the platesetter.  Raised direct, or the woo fits in side for indirect and the whole thing pulls out as one piece.  And you can get the extender and go even higher.  You can not go wrong with anything from the Ceramic Grill Store.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a raised swing arm grid extender.  Got it from a forum member here, but forget now who it was from.  Bought a 16" grid on my own for it.  Great for adding another cooking level.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @500, I bought one of those back when there was activity on them here on the forum.  I think it was $25.  It did work real well.
    However, this year I did pull the plug on an AR.  Not looking back!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • rc-wannaegger
    Options
    If I cook with direct heat, I only do it with the grill raised.  IMO, this allows better control at higher heat or lets me "low and slow" chicken breast without excessive char.  I use steel gate closers that rais the grill to almost the same height as the place setter keeps it.  The gate closers, if that's even what they are called, are made to allow a 2x4 to slide under them.  They are the perfect height, very durable and about 4 bucks a piece.  If BGE put their logo on them and marketed them they'd be about 50 dollars a set:)
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Gonna do my first pizza tonight - woo with extender.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    Options
    Do you mean raising up into the dome, for pizza and spatchcock? If so, the options above are great. I personally use a couple of fire bricks for pizza and a custom made rig in the MM for chicken:

Or are you asking about how to raise to the felt line for direct cooking? For this I use a Smokeware Raiser, it can also raise a pizza stone into the dome (but not as much as fire bricks):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    If I cook with direct heat, I only do it with the grill raised.  IMO, this allows better control at higher heat or lets me "low and slow" chicken breast without excessive char.  I use steel gate closers that rais the grill to almost the same height as the place setter keeps it.  The gate closers, if that's even what they are called, are made to allow a 2x4 to slide under them.  They are the perfect height, very durable and about 4 bucks a piece.  If BGE put their logo on them and marketed them they'd be about 50 dollars a set:)
    Can you post a pic of that"gate closer"?
    thx
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada