Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

2 inch rib-eye

BobBob Posts: 0
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

If I am searing the steak at 650 degrees should I use grape seed oil or use olive oil?  plus sea saly and fresh ground black and white pepper.

·

Comments

• tmackietmackie Posts: 67
    I never use oil when searing steaks on my BGE. But if you are going to use one of the two mentioned, I would use grape seed oil since it has a MUCH higher flashpoint.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    I don't use oil either.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • I use peanut oil myself and enjoy it better than olive oil.

Check out this good eats page
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,292
    No oil on my strak sears.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Sorry, no oil on my steak sears.... 
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    no oil required.  that's for pan searing, where it helps transfer heat from the cast iron pan.  on a charcoal grill, that oil just gets in between the radiant heat of the lump and the steak.  a dry steak will sear best

(@ chubbs:  click the edit button.  saves you from doing a new post.  i literally need to revise almost evry post of mine (spelling, etc.).  including this one)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·

Thanks Stike...

·