Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joined the spatch club!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made my 1st spatchcock chicken today.  Must say that i'm very happy with the results and i'm very thankful to be a member of this very inspiring board.  I'm trying things i've never thought of doing and feel very confident because how informative our board is.

400 direct above felt line using adjustable rig.

The wife and daughter loved it they're finally getting used to me snapping pics before they dig in.  =D>
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Did the same the other night with the same results. Once you spatch you can't go back!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks great, Cazzy. How was the skin?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    That looks very good, welcome to the fold. As a side benefit when you flatten the bird you get to practice your CPR skills!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to the club.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have had my egg since dec 2010...still need to join.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • cazzy
    Options
    The skin was very crispy! I made a grave mistake though that I didn't realize until viewing other people's pics. I butterflied the wrong darn side. I wondered why there was so much meat on the bottom and it didn't make sense until i looked at other peoples results.

So embarrassed I took down the full bird pics lol

In the end it still tasted excellent and was cooked perfectly.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I butterflied the wrong darn side. I wondered why there was so much meat on the bottom and it didn't make sense until i looked at other peoples results. 
    Note to self:  Do not let Cazzy perform surgery on me.                                                                           

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy
    Options
    Well Gary, the good news is that the surgery went great!! The bad news is that I cut off the wrong leg.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cazzy that story is too good.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    Options
    @Mickey See...this is why I prefer to learn at the Salado Fest and not cook this go around. Hah
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    I butterflied the wrong darn side. I wondered why there was so much meat on the bottom and it didn't make sense until i looked at other peoples results. 
    Note to self:  Do not let Cazzy perform surgery on me.                                                                           

=))
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!