Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Virgin No More

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did my first cook tonight on my new Large BGE.  Went well for the most part.  Started using the fire starter cube.  Fire got up to 350 and put the chicken on.  Just boneless breasts we happen to have around with some Montreal Chicken seasoning.  Came out great.  Only trouble i had was that when I opened up the dome to flip, I didn't realize that the top had slid open and when I checked later, the temp had jumped really high.  Lucky I caught it pretty quickly before too much damage was done.  It will take me a while to learn how to use it but great to get one under my belt.  Thanks so much to all here for all your help in dramatically shortening my learning curve.  Can't wait to fire it up again for round two.

And knowing that if no pics, then it didn't happen, here's a couple.  I apologized in advance for how big the pics are.  Not sure how to shrink.

Buckeye Bob

The First Light

And the chicken fresh off the Egg.

Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Congratulations! Boneless chicken breasts? Did you taste the difference?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Little Steven,

Assuming on the boneless, did I taste the difference from my gas grill? Absolutely.  Light smoke flavor but definitely more juicy then anything I made before.  
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sorry, I went by the pic not the text. That is what I meant by the difference

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    And another one is hooked.....welcome to the club Bob!
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options
    bob. The chicken looks awesome. Align the screw on top of the daisy wheel so when you open the lid the daisy wheel wont spin so it won't open up and change the temp. I also had chicken tonight, your chicken looks great. Now dirty that egg up. Welcome!

Elmer Fudd.
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94
    Options
    Congrats! I will soon have the same experience...and I can't wait! Cool to hear you had a nice result out of the gate. Cheers.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Good evidence to do a simple cook like chicken breasts the first couple times.  Had you not noticed the upper vent had slid, and it had been a 26-lb brisket...

EDIT:  Oh, and WELCOME!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    BuckEye,

Elmer beat me to that hint.  Here's another.  Don't start cooking when the temp hits your target.  You need to heat soak the dome so it is hot too.  Get to your temp or even somewhat higher and let it sit for awhile.  When you open the lid to put the cook in you let out a big bubble of hot, and the temp will drop fast.  The better you have the dome heated the faster it will reheat to your target, and it will be easier to regulate.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Welcome Bob!  Now get that thing black!!  Check this link out for help with the DFMT.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Welcome Bob! I too am going through your learning curve and I have now done 3 spatchcock chickens. Truly FANTASTIC!!! The flavor and juiciness is beyond compare. I love my Egg and will never be without it again. Gonna try my first BB this weekend and I hope all goes well!! Check out Tom's website at ceramicgrillstore.com. AWSOME Eggcessories! Your life will never be the same! Welcome and enjoy!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Thanks to all for the tips and welcomes. Going to do burgers tonight and plan on giving it more time to heat up than last night.

Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL