Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex 1lb Ribeyes

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought two Greenwise ribeyes from Publix yesterday. She brought these suckers home and they are about 1 pound a piece!!! I was planning to T-Rex them, but my question is how many people prefer searing them in a cast iron skillet rather than on the grill grate? I have never done that and was considering it. I have the stock grate only (non SS). I actually may do 1 in the skillet and 1 on the grate and compare them. Any thoughts?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I do mine as follows:
    Allow the meat to stand at room temp. before cooking.
    Rub the steaks with canola oil, coarse salt and pepper.
    Put your cast iron skillet on the grill and get that sucker as hot as possible.
    Cook the steaks two minutes per side, and let sit on a platter tented with foil for 5 min.  The best ever.
  • Chubbs

My wife is pregnant so I am going to do hers medium. May have to leave hers on there longer than that. These things are huge. I might temp probe hers to let me know when mine is medium rare and then leave hers on until medium.

You put anything in the skillet or just rely on the canola oil on the meat only?

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Chubbs I never use a CI frying pan on the egg... Just less to clean up. I will do a high temp sear with my Ci grate or the ceramic. Since your wife's steak needs to cook longer i suggest you do a reverse sear. Start hers first and cook then add yours then raise temp to 400 and sear them both. Do a search on reverse sear. Let us know how things turned out. Congratulations. Is this yalls first?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs

Okay, here are a few photos. It came out amazing! I threw a little Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks on them and boy were they great. I got the egg to 750 and seared them on each side for 2 minutes. Then pulled them and tented with foil for 10 minutes while I choked the grill back to 400. Threw the asparagus on and then put the steaks back on with the probe. They were around 95 internal when they hit the egg. I flipped them at 120 and then pulled them at 135. They came out so good. Paired them with twice baked potatoes. Needless to say I did not eat but half of this monster.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

Very nice!

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Nice cook Chubbs. Love steak and asparagus
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I like to use a spider and a 13" CI grate.  Open the lower vent, take the DFMT off and let that mother go nuclear!

imageimage

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I like to hot tub steaks and tri tips so they don't cook as long. I cook them direct until they hit 120-125 and pull and wrap in foil.
  • Chubbs
    I have a spider, but I need to get a smaller grid for searing. Right now my spider is used for wokking only. What size CI grid fits in large spider?
  • BOWHUNR
    Chubbs,

It's the 13" (for the small).

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • I like to use a spider and a 13" CI grate.  Open the lower vent, take the DFMT off and let that mother go nuclear!

imageimage

Mike
    Is that copper silicon under the rutland gasket? Is that the stock adhesive or an upgrade?  Are you pretty pleased with the set-up? 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• BOWHUNR
    Yes, it's Permatex Ultra Copper.  I have the same set-up on all off my eggs and have yet to cook one or have one come loose even at cleaning burns of 800*+.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Nice cook!  Excellent photos, those steaks look awesome!  That last pic made my mouth water....  ^:)^
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    FWIW my wife likes her steak carbonized and I llke mine almost raw so will butterfly hers and the cook times are pretty close,I need to buy steaks thick enough to accomodate a temp probe!!