Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Forum - Sacramento with large BGE

Renatboost
Renatboost Posts: 26
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been following this forum for a while and love the advice and information shared. Joined today!

Purchased my Large BGE last week and just got it together. Been looking for and taking all the advice I can gather.
As a member of some other forums, I have recognized that there always seems to be a "know it all" that lurks and knocks everyone down for their own satisfaction. I haven't seen that here at BGE forum yet! Seems everyone is in here for the love of cooking or food and loves to share! Looking forward to asking some questions and interaction. Wish these computers had a "scratch and sniff" option as tasting or smelling some of your creations would be amazing!

I BBQ and smoke all year long since I do quite a bit of hunting and fishing as well as have some quality Butcher shops near me.

First try were some thick chops I had from a pig I got from our county fair. Today I have a pork butt going on the request of the three kiddos. Have a 5.5lb butt on at about 235deg! Used some rub I made and used on a pig I shot out here a while ago! Can't wait, I'll share pics later!

Going to be gathering some accessories over the next week and by reading the forums I know there is no shortage of items to take a look at!
Any recommendations would be appreciatd!

Thank you

Comments

• Hello and Welcome to the forum, Great people and good advice and AWESOME PICS. If your in Sac, I'm 40 miles South of you in Lodi. And remember There are NO stupid questions
    LET'S EAT
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    We do have a "know it all", its called Stike, but, he really does know it all.  Atleast in his posts he pretends to, and that is 99% of knowing, pretending.  heyyyooo!  

You can bump that temp up to atleast 250 for the butt, I do mine at 275.  anything under 250 is prolonging the cook with no benefits.  I personally believe that even at 250 you are not gaining value to the meat in relation to the time it takes to cook.  This is through my years of cooking that I have gained this perception.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Congrats on the egg!  Paul has a good point, 235 dome temp is a little low.  Have fun with your egg and I look forward to the pics.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Welcome to the party. \:D/
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • medic119
    medic119 Posts: 80
    Welcome to the greatest cooking experience.  =))
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Bumped the heat and was so excited to taste the pork The only picture I got was it cooking.
    It was great and the kids loved it.

Put it on salad, fajitas and school lunch!

I have the pics on my iPhone and can't post. I'll have to figure out Photobucket or some other way to post!

Glad to make that first post rather than just sitting around being a lurker!

Brisket this weekend! I've been looking at posts on brisket and am wanting to give it a go!

Thanks for the words......