Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new hi que grate

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Used the new grate for the first time yesterday, cleaned all the ash out and put in the grate. Used a piece of paper towel with some oil on it for the starter, shoved it through the bottom vent. One piece wasn't enough to get the lump going, ended up using 3 more pieces of crumpled up news paper before the lump was going on its own. The grate seemed to work well, will have to do a low and slow and see how it does. Today I am just going to dump more lump on top and not fuss with the existing lump at all. From what I have read that seems to be the process. Thanks to all of you for suggestions. 
Tonights supper is pork tenderloin, thanks to a recent post. Love this forum. 
\:D/
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options
    I just got one the other day.  I have used it one time so far.  I used an electric starter to get it going just like I did when the old grate was in it.  It worked OK.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Easy way: First one for the Minis and Second one for the Large.imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    Options
    I have been reading not to stir the lump, as the ash will have already dropped because of the larger venting. Just drop more lump in a lit a new fire. I used to put the oil soaked paper towel down low in bed of coals, but now with the new grate, stirring may just drop the smaller lump through the grate. Time will tell re the grate but from what a lot of eggperienced folks have said, it is a good product.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, so you lit from the top of the pile of coals not through the bottom vent. I always thought a person should lit the lump from the bottom so that the fire would burn up and out. Interesting, might have to pick up one of those.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Man I wish Texas was within striking distance, I would LOVE to take in the Festivities coming up.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Hey smokesniffer-I have found it takes about a full sheet and a half of newspaper with a little oil on it if you stick it under the high que. If using the paper towel I always use it on the lump and put a small mound of lump around it. Just started my large with the newspaper and it took about 10 minutes to get it to 500* dome temp. It seems the paper towel under the grate may not get the flame close enough to the lump to get it lit, at least from my experience.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks pab, will give it a try in about 1 hour. Getting supper ready here shortly. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I got a hi-que grate, based on some threads here.  On my first cook, I was doing a stir fry on my new wok that has wooden handles.  The flames were so high that I burned the handle of my wok.

I may replace the original grate for working, and continue my research for cooks at 400 degrees or less.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, so you lit from the top of the pile of coals not through the bottom vent. I always thought a person should lit the lump from the bottom so that the fire would burn up and out. Interesting, might have to pick up one of those.
    Haha. That is what the dealer told me on my first egg. I was using a whole bunch of lump

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I got a hi-que grate, based on some threads here.  On my first cook, I was doing a stir fry on my new wok that has wooden handles.  The flames were so high that I burned the handle of my wok.

I may replace the original grate for working, and continue my research for cooks at 400 degrees or less.

That sucks VI. I think it was all a plot of Mickeys to get you to buy one so you would ruin your wok and he could advance in the eyes of the novice egger. All of your wokking attention has gotten to him. He is inviting everyone to Salado so he can steal all your eggs and sell them on craigslist. It's a setup. Mickey is a mole from Weber.

Just joking. You should call the wok shop and tell them to send you a new one since you have boosted their first quarter sales with woks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013